IBS quality of life can be as difficult as an IBD sufferer

Jeffrey Roberts

Jeffrey Roberts

I followed the Crohn's and Colitis Congress #CCCongress over the last several days. It's an annual medically oriented meeting with doctors, researchers, industry and patient advocates focused on Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). While IBD is medically different than IBS, many IBD patients have IBS-like symptoms between flares. Many of the treatment options that IBS patients use are just as relevant to an IBD patient. Many dietary modifications, therapy and often feelings of despair are also similar. The one thing not similar is an understanding that suffering from IBS has just a high impact as IBD on someone's quality of life. I'm working pretty hard to highlight the QOL issues of an IBS sufferer. Since I have both IBS and Crohn's disease, I have a perspective on both. It's sometimes a real challenge to find a doctor that will take IBS as seriously as IBD. I can tell you that they are out there. Find a new doctor, if you can, if your doctor isn't sympathetic to your QOL issues. There is no reason that you have to suffer in silence on your own.

• Jeffrey Roberts changed the title to IBS quality of life can be as difficult as an IBD sufferer
On 2/11/2019 at 5:51 PM, Jeffrey Roberts said:

I followed the Crohn's and Colitis Congress #CCCongress over the last several days. It's an annual medically oriented meeting with doctors, researchers, industry and patient advocates focused on Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). While IBD is medically different than IBS, many IBD patients have IBS-like symptoms between flares. Many of the treatment options that IBS patients use are just as relevant to an IBD patient. Many dietary modifications, therapy and often feelings of despair are also similar. The one thing not similar is an understanding that suffering from IBS has just a high impact as IBD on someone's quality of life. I'm working pretty hard to highlight the QOL issues of an IBS sufferer. Since I have both IBS and Crohn's disease, I have a perspective on both. It's sometimes a real challenge to find a doctor that will take IBS as seriously as IBD. I can tell you that they are out there. Find a new doctor, if you can, if your doctor isn't sympathetic to your QOL issues. There is no reason that you have to suffer in silence on your own.

Sorry you are suffering Jeff. I don't even bother the doc and just deal with it myself. I plan ( when have funds) to save up for hypnotherapy sessions. I've read it can be very good for getting rid of IBS. I do the best diet I can and take enzymes but altho this reduced the frequency of flare ups, I still get them. 

Edited by HattiehatesIBS
typos