Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sylvie13

I cured the IBS I've had for years in 4 weeks

sylvie13

To start with, I'm not affiliated with any pharmaceutical or supplement company, and I'm not getting money from anyone to write this. I've had (self-diagnosed) IBS for more than 3 years, with 5-7 bowel movements per day, mostly diarrhea, with added bloating and gas. Usually the first bowel movement of the day would be relatively normal, and the subsequent ones would get more and more watery, with lots of mucus and undigested food particles floating around. It got so bad that I was afraid to take nature walks where there wouldn't be a bathroom nearby. Hiking was completely out of the question. I felt like my life was becoming smaller and smaller, and I almost felt like a shut-in at times, which added bouts of depression. 

I was forcing myself to eat tons of yogurt and kefir, even though I didn't like them too much, and took high-quality, high-priced probiotics with billions of strains of lactobacillus and bifidobacillus to revive my damaged gut flora. Nothing worked. If anything, it only got worse.

Just a few months ago, I stumbled over this article about IBS and SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth). In a nutshell, about 80% of IBS sufferers actually have SIBO and don't know it. Normally beneficial bacteria will migrate from the large to the small intestine and set up shop and intercept nutrients that would pass through, keeping them from being utilized in the colon. Now, the irony here is that these bacteria are mostly... lactobacillus and bifidobacillus!

That means by taking all those probiotics and eating yogurt, etc., I was actually FEEDING my SIBO!

I immediately stopped eating most dairy except for sliced cheese on occasion. I stopped taking the probiotics and instead switched to SBO Probiotics (SBO stands for Soil-Based Organisms). These are beneficial bacteria derived from cultured, clean soil and they are totally different strains and have nothing to do with lactobacillus or bifidobacillus. This is the brand I'm taking, but there are others. Just google "SBO probiotics" or "soil-based probiotics" on Amazon.

Within roughly four weeks, all my IBS symptoms subsided. I now have 2-3 healthy bowel movements per day and only very occasionally a bout of diarrhea (maybe once every two weeks), but nowhere near as severe as it used to be. I just wanted to write this post to give fellow sufferers some hope and encourage you to try this. I feel like I've been given my life back; now I'm not a prisoner in my own house anymore. 

Advertisement
Paslman

So I too was sick of this six year ibsd I've had.  Taking just one anti diarrhea pill otc too care of it for six years until this past month.  Did you know that way way down in the literature of otc anti-diarrhea meds you are actually doing a disservice and it begins to work against you. I went off this and there is some improvement but it's only been 3 days. My doctor is going to put me on a regimen of refaciminthis coming Monday as soon as I get approval from my insurance and we can get the price down to something more reasonable than $1,000 a month. She says it works on 80% of the people taken 3 times a day then you go to two times a day and then to one time a day to find out how many pills you need to take a day. As far as is inhibiting my life I eat smaller amounts of food during the day for breakfast and lunch and rarely have to go to the bathroom. But when I eat a normal dinner with no seconds like I used to I have to run to the bathroom again and again. I did buy some adult diapers and they're actually pretty comfortable and I don't have to continually throw away my underwear and God forbid my great jeans.so get over the fact that they're called diapers they really help you can't tell you've got them on and you just throw the thing away and put on another one until you can find a cure for this horrible thing I'll update you when I get on the program to see if this is going to help. God bless everyone suffering with this.

Lilia

Thanks for this information! I knew about SIBO and how it was a probable cause/result of IBS (the cause and effect on this stuff is so unclear!), but I also read that taking probiotics would exacerbate the SIBO. I was going to start taking these soil-based probiotics I ordered online, but then I learned that probiotics might be bad for SIBO so they've been sitting in my fridge for about a month while I tried other stuff. Thank you, I can now feel more confident in actually putting them to use! 

• Like 1