Advertisement

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
LizzieLizard

Very painful IBS

LizzieLizard

I've been dealing with ibs for about 3 years now, and I feel like it is getting worse and happening more frequently. Every time I eat, it hurts, and I already eat super healthy, because I have to.

I've wanted to try things that can improve my ibs, but everything that can I can't have due to having acid reflux, gluten intolerance, and dairy intolerance. One thing that can help one issue, harms another.

I don't know if others feel this kind of pain, but when I go through an episode, I'm in the bathroom, on the toilet, with overwhelming dizzyness and nausea. I go through it in waves. My body goes through hot flashes where suddenly I'm caked in sweat as I go through these episodes. I've come close to blacking out a few times as the pain is immeasurable and it seriously feels like I'm dying because it hurts so much. I end up vomiting and having diarrhea at the same time and this goes on for about an hour till I'm exhausted from the excursion and have to stay home.

I was finally able to get into the doctor to see if they could help me figure out what was wrong, but he told me to just get on miralax and benefiber. I was so upset that he didn't take me more seriously since that only makes going to the bathroom easier, but doesn't ease the pain that I go through.

I am prescribed a medicine called dicyclomine that is used for IBS to help with the muscle spasms in my intestines, and it does help sometimes, but not always. Sometimes it makes it worse by speeding the process of the episodes up, so they are 10x stronger, but don't last as long. I consider it a double edged sword.

Please, if anyone goes through the amount of pain I feel, or if there is any way to help, please let me know. I know of the low FODMAP diet, but my acid reflux prevents me from having lots of those things. Is there anything I can do? Or do I have to live with this for the rest of my life?

Advertisement

Advertisement
IBShell

I dont have the solution but I feel your pain.  I have been incapacitated lately by belly cramps all day long.  The noise coming from my gut sounds like a squeaking balloon.  It's gotten worse since I lost my job.  I've suffered off and on for years, since I was a teen.

Simethicone doesn't work and neither does peppermint capsules.  Those make me need to find a commode.

I will go through bouts of cramping and then it goes into remission.  Haven't been able to pinpoint exactly how that happens, seems like it stops out of the blue.

Exercise, like going up and down stairs takes the edge off.  Gets the gas out for me which helps with cramping.  Also, I avoid dairy during my active phase as it exacerbates cramping.  Sour cream is an exception; must be the probiotics.  Cant say that about yogurt though.  I hate yogurt and so does my gut.  Go figure.