Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Has anyone tried miralax for chronic constipation?  I sometimes have lapses of a few days where I cannot pass a single bowel movement, however I find that a strong laxative helps only for a single day and then I am back to being constipated again.  Someone suggested to me taking miralax daily.  Wondering if anyone has any insight.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Jeffrey Roberts

Hi Allyson,

Here are some comments posted on our FB page in response to you:

Anna Gorton: I tried Miralax and it further constipated me when I had IBS-C. I now have IBS-M. My gastroenterologist suggested I try Benifiber. Will be trying that next.

Elaine Drummond: Same here. I tried it on and off for 2 yrs. I gave up on it. I use Milk of Mag. My Gastro wants me to try Lactulose next.

Chestena Bartley: I take it (somewhat) daily & it produces a BM after maybe 3 days if I take it consistently. Not as quick as I'd like, but I can't take the cramping that comes along with laxatives.

Julia R. Alberino: I have IBS-M. At one point my gastro had e on Miralax daily because she diagnosed that my IBS had gone from D to C.. Miralax didn't help, other than to give me very painful cramps and frequent diarrhea, so that there were days I couldn't leave the house. I know we are all different, and who I explained to my gastro what was happening, her advice was to increase my Miralax dose. I took myself off Miralax completely over a year ago and I'm much better without it. But it just might work for you. My advice would be that if it isn't working after a month or so, tell your doc you want to stop.

Elaine Drummond: Yup, I had more of the reaction Chestena Bartley did when I was on it. It's not going to happen right away. It takes about 3 days. On the 2nd and 3rd day, I had what Julia R. Alberino had. So there was cramping, and yeah, I had to rush to the bathroom when I was out. I too took myself off it. However, we are all different. There are some that say there is a reason it's called "Miralax," that it's a miracle. All you can do is try, and then if not happy with it, keep in touch with your doctor. Good luck!

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's so frustrating because the 'one-size-fits all' framework endemic to mainstream medicine is really not equipped to adequately address functional, chronic health disorders...

I've done a lot of research and personal experimentation, and one "quick fix" consumer product that (surprisingly) really works for me is digestive enzymes. It's tricky to find a quality product because anything that falls under the 'supplement' umbrella isn't quality assured, but in any case, these really work for me:

DigestMore by RenewLife

It's basically a blend of the enzymes (lipases, amylases, proteases) that you need to effectively break down your main macronutrients (lipids, carbohydrates, proteins). For me, it really helps to keep things moving and relieves pain/discomfort that is associated with excessive gas/pressure...

This, along with other strategies that have already been mentioned (low FODMAP, probiotics, exercise, etc), have been helpful. I also regularly practice an intermittent fasting, ketogenic diet regimen which has also been helpful..

I hope some of this helps and that you feel better soon!

I take Miralax every day.  It does make a small difference (maybe 10%).  If I just took it by itself it wouldn't be enough for my chronic constipation and I'd be in a world of hurt.

One of the good things about it though is that it has no discernible negative side effects on me, and its completely tasteless and blends with anything.  I usually mix it with tea or water in the morning, along with 1-2 tablespoons of Metamucil.

• 1 month later...

I find 2 Tbsp of any fibre like Benefibre daily makes it much easier to have BM. And tons of water. I put it in a smoothie. But occasionally I do have use a suppository when too much pressure! Balancing act!