Bile Acid Malabsorption (BAM)

user253

Many people diagnosed with IBS-D may actually have Bile Acid Malabsorption (BAM).  I found this article from the Mayo Clinic (link below) and asked my doctor if i could try Colesevelam, and it has worked for me. 32 days with no diarrhea, not once! Dosage is between 2 - 6 tablets per day. i started at 6 and it's a little constipating so i've been decreasing and am now at 3 per day. My insurance covers it, and no other side effects. i can't tell you what a difference this has made in my life!

https://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-professionals/digestive-diseases/news/identifying-diarrhea-caused-by-bile-acid-malabsorption/mac-20430098

Edited by user253
misspelled medication name

• Jeffrey Roberts changed the title to Bile Acid Malabsorption (BAM)
Jeffrey Roberts

Thank you for sharing.

I agree, some people have been diagnosed with IBS-D, whereas they might really have bile acid malabsorption. It's unfortunately a more challenging illness to diagnose and is often missed by gastroenterologists. Definitely worth a try of Colesevelam or Questran (cholestyramine) if you think this is what is going on.

• 3 years later...
On 8/30/2020 at 7:35 AM, user253 said:

Many people diagnosed with IBS-D may actually have Bile Acid Malabsorption (BAM).  I found this article from the Mayo Clinic (link below) and asked my doctor if i could try Colesevelam, and it has worked for me. 32 days with no diarrhea, not once! Dosage is between 2 - 6 tablets per day. i started at 6 and it's a little constipating so i've been decreasing and am now at 3 per day. My insurance covers it, and no other side effects. i can't tell you what a difference this has made in my life!

https://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-professionals/digestive-diseases/news/identifying-diarrhea-caused-by-bile-acid-malabsorption/mac-20430098

After gallbladder removal, I face the same problem.
I take 30 days of cholestyramine.
I don't have diarrhea, but I go to the toilet in the morning,
 whereas before I didn't. Now I go once or twice, 
maybe even three times a day.. 
how many times do you go to the toilet with questran?

Jeffrey Roberts

I don't have BAM; however, whenever I have taken cholestyramine for D, I'll usually skip a day of BM and then go the day after. It can stop me up for days depending on how much I've taken.