IBS? SIBO? Both?

dtm

Good morning everyone, I am new to this site and grateful to have found such a caring community. I was diagnosed about 25 years ago with IBS after experiencing severe pain in my upper right abdomen. Levsinex worked wonders to control the flare ups, and going on a low-dose of SSRI kept it at bay and has enabled me to live pretty much symptom-free. Fast-forward to August 2020, I started experiencing periodic loose stools. By mid-September it advanced to full-blown diarrhea several times a day. My doc prescribed a z-pack which did the trick while I was on it, but the diarrhea soon returned once the meds left my system. Stool tests, bloodwork, and colonoscopy all came back normal, and now I am experiencing either diarrhea, loose stools, extreme bloating and feeling of fullness in my upper abdomen, passing of mucus...it's so frustrating! I have been judicious with my diet to avoid dairy, soda, alcohol, limiting my caffeine, and nothing helps. No matter what or how little I eat, my upper abdomen becomes distended and I feel like I ate a massive meal. I recently had a UTI and went on a sulfa-based antibiotic. Simultaneously, my GI doc put me on methscopolamine. My symptoms subsided during this time, but within two days of ending the antibiotics, the diarrhea and severe bloating came back with a vengeance. I continued taking the methscopolamine, but it was clearly not working so I stopped taking it. My doctor now suspects SIBO. I will do the breath test next week and pray I get answers. I would love to know if anyone has had a similar experience.

Jeffrey Roberts

Interesting...

Have you considered trying an industrial strength probiotic like Visbiome?

Also, has a bile-acid sequestrant been tried like Questran (cholestyramine)?

At this point, none of those things have been tried or suggested. I like the idea of ruling things out before trying any new meds. I had been taking Align, but need to be off it for a week before I can take the SIBO breath test. 

Jeffrey Roberts

I never found Align very effective in a flare-up state. I found Visbiome to be more helpful.

Sometimes trying a new med helps physicians rule out conditions. I believe Questran might help you in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the Lactulose breath test this week and heard today from my doctor that it came back "very" positive for SIBO. He's prescribing two antibiotics, Neomycin and Metronidazole, to be taken over 14 days. I am happy to have an answer and truly hope this treatment works.

• 2 years later...

Hi I'm a new joiner. Thought a forum might be useful. I have SIBO M diagnosed 2 years ago but had been suffering for 10+ years.  Had a course 7 days of Rifaximine but symptoms quickly returned. Recently been with a functional medical nutritionists and after a comprehensive stool test and another Breath test,  was put on berberine, neem, caprylic acid, S boulardii, guar gum, glutamine, NAC , similase. I also have a long -term UTI so am also on antibiotics and Hiprex. After 1 month the methane had gone ( and still gone) but my H levels are through the roof. I have excessive bloating, very uncomfortable, several bathroom visits per day and generally feeling awful. Last week I suggested I came off those tabs and tried oregano oil. Now feeling quite a bit better but H levels still high. Just cannot seem to kill the H producing bacteria. Nutritionist is nice but to be honest not overly helpful. Costs a fortune every time we talk, 170£ + and she just agrees with what I suggest, so basically I need to do this myself.  

• 3 months later...

There is a book I read to help me understand SIBO. It's called The Everything Guide to the Low-Fodmap Diet by Dr Barbara & Kathleen Bradley, CPC. It was my start to managing my SIBO. I then educated myself via the internet on the digestion process. Among many other things, I learned about are how long it takes the stomach to empty and I learned about intestinal motility, two very important processes to keep in mind. The Everything Guide lists foods to avoid. It also lists allowed foods. These lists are just a guide and don't apply to everyone so there is process to follow to determine which foods work and which don't work for each individual.

After learning which foods I could tolerate and then waiting four hours between finishing a meal and starting the next one, I finally had a schedule that allowed me to return to a mostly normal life. In the beginning I kept cheating and had to start again. The biggest hurdle I had to overcome was giving up sugar. I was literally addicted to it. The second biggest challenge I had was giving up fruit. Through elimination and reintroduction of fruit I was able to determine, regretfully, that I am fructose intolerant. But there are fruits allowed on the SIBO diet for someone not as abnormal as I am. 

I, too, found that after being treated with an antibiotic for a non related issue, I felt better. But relying on antibiotics for the rest of my life was not something I was willing to do. I never saw a doctor about SIBO. I never consulted a dietician. I have no faith in either as SIBO is a complicated issue and its resolve is unique to each person suffering from it. Changing my diet after a lifetime of eating what I wished and when was the hardest thing I have other done. I am now going into my third year of sticking to my SIBO diet. Six months ago I was able to introduce a new food to my diet and I'm not experiencing any setbacks. I can now safely snack between meals.

I have a son who is fifty something. Over a year ago he told me of the terrible digestion issues he was having. I recognized his symptoms as possibly being caused by SIBO. I helped him through the process I went through. After he went through a similar dietary trial and error period he has been virtually symptom free. 

I sincerely hope something I have related here helps someone. DO NOT GIVE UP!

• Like 1