Can’t get through the pain ibs

Kyleigh

I’ve had stomach issues on & off my entire life. I became a completely different person at the age of 17. I’d say that’s when things got bad. Anything I would eat didn’t agree with me and the pain would last for hours. All through out that time my bowels were strictly diarrhea. After years of struggling and isolating myself completely & developing sever depression & anxiety/panic attacks, at the age of 21 I finally started to feel okay. I was feeling great, I left the house, I made plans, I enjoyed all life had to offer. I was on medication for anxiety finally & taking fiber gummy’s once a day and it was amazing. Then out of nowhere after almost a year of freedom it feels as though everything has happened all over again. I’m now 23 and still stuck. I’ve tried probiotics, fiber, and antidepressant to help with ibs. I’ve tried peppermint oil supplements which sometimes help a little. But let me tell you I can’t eat anything with out my stomach hurting. I’m terrified to eat. Ive tried the low fodmap diet and it didn’t help one bit. The only thing that has changed is that now I get constipated as well. I go back and forth from diarrhea to constipation. I’m so emotionally exhausted, I still follow the fodmap diet because I feel like it should help. I feel so helpless & like I’ll never be okay. I’ve completely isolated myself again and all my time and energy are revolved around eating, and the bathroom. I’ve gone from being 110-115 pounds most of my life. This year I’m at 90 pounds. It’s terrifying to me and I really don’t know what to do anymore. 

Jeffrey Roberts

Dear Kyleigh,

I'm really sorry to read your story. In a sense it sounds like what I went through my in twenties. I can't say that I have found a cure since then, but I have learned to cope better. I too had a weight problem and since my twenties have put on 15 pounds that have stuck with me.

Have you ever considered Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)? It won't cure your IBS, but it might help your feeling of isolation and anxiety about eating any foods. You would need to find a psychologist that is familiar with IBS. This is a good place to start to try and find someone, https://romegipsych.org

If it were me, I would do the therapy in conjunction with another low dose antidepressant. You might not have hit on the right one that will ease your bowel between diarrhea and constipation as well as help with anxiety. Cymbalta or Remeron come to mind as options. Could you discuss this with your doctor?

IBS waxes and wanes and is so uncontrollable at times. With a little help I'm sure you can get into a better frame of mind.

Thank you for the suggestion, it’s truly appreciated & I’ll definitely give it all a try! This group is great and already makes me feel I bit better knowing I’m not the only one. I just came off of amitriptyline 20mg I felt it backed me up more then anything. Thank you for the antidepressant suggestions as well, I’ll see if my doctor will let me give it a try! 

• Like 1