Richard heath

Richard

Hi

I think I may have IBS and wondered if someone can clarify my symptoms. 

This does not happen reguraly, only sometimes when I eat say biscuits in the day then a big meal on the night, although this can also occur with eating brocoli etc

I start having flatulence around about an hour after eating, then it completely stops and a gnawing pain begins in my mid back on the right hand side, thus then slowly moves round underneath my right rib which then spasms and the pin is immense. As this generally occurs at night when I am asleep, I suddenly wake up in very bad pain, I feel like there is a lump under my right rib which keeps on moving on its own, I have a slight fever with generally very cold then very high sweating, I also vomit everytime I lie on the pain. Can anyone please advise if they have these symptoms also, I have been advised by my gp it is most likely ibs but due to me vomiting and having a fever I'm not so sure. Thank you

Jeffrey Roberts

Hi Richard,

That sounds very painful and stressful to go through.

IBS does wax and wane and the same foods don't always produce the same results.

The pain you are describing sounds like either gas/bloating or stool, or perhaps bile, moving. The cold and sweating seems like a vagal nerve response to the movement which isn't really a characteristic of IBS, though anyone can have a vagal nerve response.

The vomiting due to the pain seems unlikely from IBS. I mean it's possible and I have heard of people vomiting, but your symptoms don't scream out to me that the is IBS.

Could your GP check your pancreas and gallbladder functions? Perhaps even an abdominal ultrasound? Since this is after a meal, I wonder if it might be related to bile - which would make you vomit if it somehow got back in your stomach. You didn't say you were nauseated, which I would expect from bile in your stomach.

You might indicate to your GP that you aren't having constipation or diarrhea that is changing - which is more of the hallmark of IBS, along with abdominal pain.

Oh gosh Richard, that does sound uncomfortable. I hope you and your GP can get to the bottom of this, and it passes for you as soon as possible. A right sided under-ribs pain with nausea/vomiting could well be related to the gall bladder. It's also vaguely possible you could have serious trapped wind in the hepatic flexure? But I wouldn't assume it was that without getting checked out first. Pain itself can make someone feel nauseated, sweaty, faint, or vomit sometimes.

I wish you well.

Thank you very much for your replies, I did forget to mention that I am very constipated when the pain subsides, also I have found that if I drink a couple of lagers when the pain is present, it goes within 20 minutes, I think this could be gas related

That's interesting -that a gassy drink can help clear it? Usually a gassy drink would make you burp first. But any CO2 that didn't come out upwards, would make its way down lower and cause more gas. usually one would imagine.

I know I would burp when I drank lager (sadly I can't drink it any more, and I did like it!)

Or do you think it might just be the alcohol in the lagers which helps calm things down? The slightly sedative effect?

Edited by Esjie

Thank you for replying, it think it might be to do with how much I burp when having lager, therefore releasing any gas which may be trapped, I had to go hospital on Wednesday as the pain was so immense, they are now checking my liver function, gallbladder etc, I suspect after reading a few posts about gallbladder, that it may be colic which is caused by blocked ducts, possibly gallstones being the culprit which may explain when I burp after a lager it releases the colic, I'm not too sure, I'm surmising but I will update this thread when I have the answers, thank you very much for your support.