Kefir and nausea/headache

Hello again

I was recently given some kefir grains, recommended by a (non-expert) friend 'to help with your gut symptoms'. A brief bit of online research suggested that efficacy is, indeed, supported by medical research, so I was willing to try.

A fortnight in and I'm experiencing regular, fairly intense nausea and minor headaches. Reading around again, I note that this is a common response (and one that I somehow didn't pick up on initially when reading) but advice seems to differ on whether to 'plough through and it'll improve' or reduce/stop consumption. I've also recently ended a short course of Rifaxamin (which almost completely cleared my abdominal pain and bloating, only for it to immediately return once the course ended).

Just curious about others' experience/advice.

For the record, I'm quite strongly against alternative 'medicine' and non-evidence-based 'therapies' so, if you're an advocate of these, I thank you for your concern and wish you well with your experiments, but perhaps this thread isn't for you. 

Thanks in advance to any and all who respond.

MP

Jeffrey Roberts

There was some post-market research done with Rifaxamin and repeat dosing after the initial course. It was approved by the FDA in the US to allow this repeat dosing, so you might consider trying another course of it if you found an improvement.

Have you tried water kefir? It might have a different effect than the lactose-based one?

Anyway, Rifaximin is helpful or curative for SIBO isn't it? In which case, if you have SIBO, it's not uncommon that probiotics can make symptoms worse, until the situation has healed by use of antibiotics such as Rifaximin.

Edited by Esjie

Thank you both.

I have an initial consultation with a gastroenterologist on Monday, so I'll be sure to ask about the Rifaxamin. The papers I read noted that many people see improved conditions for weeks/months after a course but, as stated, my symptoms returned immediately. 

I wasn't aware of the SIBO/probiotics interaction so, I'll be asking about that too. My regular 'family' doctor hasn't mentioned anything about SIBO in a whole year of consultations and tests so, if this does turn out to be the issue, I'm going to be pretty annoyed (and changing doctors - she trained as a gastroenterologist so it would be a massive oversight). 

Thanks again to you both for the responses, I'm grateful.

MP

It's amazing how many doctors are pretty clueless about small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)

I have heard it can be sometimes a bit hard to treat. The only one person I know (remotely) who has had it, treated his with diet change (he cut out carbs! which I would find incredibly difficult/impossible to do) and he is on an ongoing herbal course. He has seen results which are steady -moreso than he got on antibiotic courses. In which case it would probably be easier to employ a good, qualified SIBO-educated Herbal practitoner if that was of any interest to you.

Sorry I meant to put this on my post but it won't let me edit now.

You would need a lactulose and/or Glucose breath test for SIBO. Lactulose is better for technical gut reasons.

I just wanted to add as well that I’m seeing a gastroenterologist and we tried the rifaximin with me and I went through the same thing. Felt fine on it, barely any side effects. Then as soon as I went off of it my pain returned. My dr knows about the second round, he seems pretty knowledgeable. And he hasn’t suggested it yet. I am assuming because we didn’t see any real results. So you’re definitely not the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk