Easing off of RestoraLAX?

Lory

I have been on three tablespoons a day for six months. I am starting to connect it to my attacks of severe stomach cramping. I've been on the FODMAP diet and it has been helping, but the fiber for hydration seems to inflame my gut now. I'm trying to add a dose of Metamucil (gradually), which I used regularly before this IBS hit me last summer. Any advice on easing off Restore lax?

• Jeffrey Roberts changed the title to Easing off of RestoraLAX?
Jeffrey Roberts

Hi Lory,

I can see how this can be rather cramping. Did a doctor suggest using 3 tablespoons per day? The usual amount is 17 grams (1 1/2 tablespoons) of restoraLAX daily, so the amount you are taking is large and potentially only given to someone who was told to do a 'clean-out' for 2-3 days. Have you tried a capful daily? That's the measured 17 grams. I wouldn't introduce Metamucil until you have lowered the restoraLAX because it seems like it would be quite painful to have that much going on in your gut at once. Have you spoken to your doctor about this?

That's good that the low FODMAP diet has helped.

• 2 years later...

My doctor recommended taking Restoralax daily and taking a large dose at first and then back down to one capful daily.  My issue is that even though I drink 2 litres of water a day I still have troubles having a bowel movement without straining. Maybe I need more than a capful a day? 

Jeffrey Roberts

I'm not sure @BennyMaizee that I have read anywhere to exceed 1 capful per day.

Have you tried this in conjunction with any meds? Ibsrela is new in Canada and is quite different than the other medications available.