Can't have fiber supplements, but I barely have a bowel movement

Mary G

I am wondering if anyone has had these problems and what has worked for you? I have bowel movements on and off, most of the time they are pebbles. I have tried miralax in the past, but I end up with mud type of bowel movements (and I don't enjoy them). I am 48 years old, have had current changes in my IBS (I am diagnosed as IBS-D) and have adjusted my diet so I don't get sick. Any answers or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you. 

Hello Mary,
I wonder if -in spite of your initial diagnosis -you might now have IBS-A (alternating between constipation and diarrhea.)?

With the Miralax, I wonder if adjusting the dose down would help when you get an ibs-C flare up?

I am predominantly IBS-D but do know what a difficult balancing act it can be to get things right (ish) day to day. To get amounts (of whatever we eat or take) just right is not easy. And then on some days it seems whatever we do, IBS has surprises in store.

I am not really familiar with IBS-A, even though I have briefly had  constipation (twice)  which has usually only lasted a day.
But I hope someone who experiences this here can advise you with some helpful tips and suggestions. Wishing you the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for answering! Some of the forums where I posted the question, I have gotten no response. I have been plugged up with you know what, since last weekend-Saw the doctor last Monday and I have a you know what build up in my colon. He prescribed miralax, along with a suppository. I have been having bowel movements (Small amounts) and lots of smelly gas, but don't feel hungry at all  (I have to force myself to eat small portions). I am hoping that this soon will pass or otherwise it's a cat scan or colonscopy. 

• 1 year later...

I know cases when this helped the client ease the diagnosis. I can imagine getting in shape and especially building muscle is not easy when you have bowel movements on and off, and most of the time, they are pebbles. Moreover, building muscle, even if you are healthy, is not easy at your age. You could use supplements such as RAD 140 that would enhance your muscle growth, increasing your hips' stability. Obviously, it is better to discuss it with the doctor before making any decisions.