Floating, sticky, loose stools for months

Alex31

Hello, first time here.

I've had sticky, loose and floating stools for several months. Very uncomfortable and hard to clean so i hurt the skin.

Does anyone know if it is a symptom of anything else than IBS? Or have any advice to make the stool harder, formed and easy to clean?

Im on a gluten, dairy, and sugar free diet (not total but at 90% at least) and was trying low Fodmap diet but these problems continue.

I would appreciate if you could share anything on this. Thanks!

First of all, I agree with Esjie.

If your stool is floating, it could be fat malabsorption. But malabsorption, in my opinion, is quite common for people with IBS-D, because if food going fast through your digestive system, there is no time to absorb all nutrients.

How much stress do you have during a day? How much sensible are you if something is change?

Thank you so much for your advice. I'm waiting for the results of some exams. I think when i have a coffee or tea I have a quick response from my bowel, and I use to drink 2 to 3 cups per day. Could this be what makes the stool pass faster?

Well, i think the coffee can work like catalyst. I developed ibs-d in very similar way, i drunk 2-3 cup of coffee a day, had a stress and then it slowly started. Sometimes i had to go immediately after coffee, sometimes i had just stress and needed to go, etc. Then i started to thinking about it, read researches... and it got worse and worse. But don't panic, it doesn't have to be permanent condition. I am drinking coffee atm and im fine (but i reduce it to only 1 cup a day).

You should cut off stressful situations in your awareness. I know it sounds weird, i lied to myself for 2 or 3 years and still said "i am strong, my mind is clear, etc". But then i accepted its not truth. Because most of the time i thought about my health condition. Wrong thinking supports ibs-d growing and then its harder to leave this circle. You don't have to analyse what is good, what is wrong, what causes your problems, you just have to start thinking positive. And it can be easily (but it takes some time) achieved by some techniques, like CBT, meditation, yoga, tai chi,..Then you will understand all what happened with you during your ibs-d years.

The second part what is pretty good to do is support your digestion, immunite, etc. Buy som probiotics, vitamins, fibers, and pay attantion to varied diet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello Elis. 

I had a colonoscpoy recently and visually they found my Colon to be ok, but some ulcers at the final part of the small intestine. I'm waiting for the results of some biopsies and other bloos tests to have the complete picture. 

The stools problems dissapeared suddenly. In fact i started eating like normally, with no restrictions and i have had no problems, my stool have a very good shape and consistency, not hard to clean. In some cases i have had like hard stools. I think it is no very related to what i eat, just when i drink coffee or alcohol i feel it accelerates the movements.

Anyway, i'll wait until i visit my doctor with the results of the exams to know what it is.

• 1 month later...

I was given a pancreas elastase test.  The test showed I have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency.  The doctor put me on a medication called Creon.  That is a capsule that contains lipase, amylase and protease.  It's supposed to increase absorption of food. The only potential problem is that it is made from a pig's pancreas.  I have been taking it for about 3 weeks.

I thought I would have gained a few pounds by now but so far I haven't gained any weight.

It's also important in my case to limit the quantity of fat I consume in any given meal.

It's also important to eat foods that contain healthy fats such as nuts, avocado, salmon, etc and avoid the unhealthy fats as much as possible.

Is anyone else taking Creon for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency?  the doctor advised me not to purchase other types of digestive enzyme products (non Rx)

Hope this is helpful for others w/ similar problems.

• 2 months later...
On 4/29/2021 at 6:57 PM, ibsdhelp said:

Well, i think the coffee can work like catalyst. I developed ibs-d in very similar way, i drunk 2-3 cup of coffee a day, had a stress and then it slowly started. Sometimes i had to go immediately after coffee, sometimes i had just stress and needed to go, etc. Then i started to thinking about it, read researches... and it got worse and worse. But don't panic, it doesn't have to be permanent condition. I am drinking coffee atm and im fine (but i reduce it to only 1 cup a day).

You should cut off stressful situations in your awareness. I know it sounds weird, i lied to myself for 2 or 3 years and still said "i am strong, my mind is clear, etc". But then i accepted its not truth. Because most of the time i thought about my health condition. Wrong thinking supports ibs-d growing and then its harder to leave this circle. You don't have to analyse what is good, what is wrong, what causes your problems, you just have to start thinking positive. And it can be easily (but it takes some time) achieved by some techniques, like CBT, meditation, yoga, tai chi,..Then you will understand all what happened with you during your ibs-d years.

The second part what is pretty good to do is support your digestion, immunite, etc. Buy som probiotics, vitamins, fibers, and pay attantion to varied diet.

I have had a very similar experience, having had floating, fatty, pale, or sticky stool for years, and tried everything i could find. What helped the most was takeing the pressure off myself to achieve things, even being health, for my nervous system to settle down. My digestive system fall frequently flat when i add presures into my life, pushing  though, eating to often or too much.

Often i'd mistaking the times when my body and mind need to wind down, rest, or do something really really gentle for thinking i need to engage more, add something, do something more. Whether that be more house work, finishing tasks, eating the right thing, when what I need is to turn off, lie dow, disengange, or feel "passively nurtured" by something. Even if, in the middle of the working day, doing something like lying on a couch for 10-15 minutes would have beneficial effect.

It took a while to bring myself to a genuinely calmer, more regulated state that my digestion started to improve. It's still be no means perfect, but i rarely get these symptoms. it's been more about taking more things out, than adding more things in, be it quanitities or types of activities, foods, metal "shoulds", stresses.

I know it's hard when advice is so unspecific, but i hope this perspective helps in some way.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 6:18 AM, Saphire7 said:

I was given a pancreas elastase test.  The test showed I have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency.  The doctor put me on a medication called Creon.  That is a capsule that contains lipase, amylase and protease.  It's supposed to increase absorption of food. The only potential problem is that it is made from a pig's pancreas.  I have been taking it for about 3 weeks.

I thought I would have gained a few pounds by now but so far I haven't gained any weight.

It's also important in my case to limit the quantity of fat I consume in any given meal.

It's also important to eat foods that contain healthy fats such as nuts, avocado, salmon, etc and avoid the unhealthy fats as much as possible.

Is anyone else taking Creon for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency?  the doctor advised me not to purchase other types of digestive enzyme products (non Rx)

Hope this is helpful for others w/ similar problems.

I still have creon in my fridge but rarely use it anymore. It helped for a while, but i think it worked less over time, and i have had to find other ways to get my pancreas in better condition, and producing more of my body's own exzymes.

Reducing stress and doing more nuturing activities, eating less foods that require a strong digestive system helped. I found that how much i eat in any one sitting, when i am eating, how settled i am when eating, and not eat straigh before, or straight after bed also help take the stress off my digestion and allow it the time it needs to fire up or settle down. for it to be more capable and regulated.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Thank you Don for your reply.  I agree it's necessary to eat smaller meals. Also to eat 2 hours before bedtime.  To eat easily digestible

foods at night.

Another thing that helps is chewing each bite completely. I noticed I was unconsciously swallowing food without chewing it.  It also is helping

to take a few deep breaths during the meal. Then I ask myself "am I still hungry? Or am I just stuffing myself to avoid feeling some uncomfortable

emotions?"

All these techniques are helping me when I remember to do them.

good luck to all who are suffering!

Sticky stools can sometimes mean there is SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) A breath test may help if you can get one.

I don't have that but I do have IBS-D with loose stools. though there is nothing abnormal about the stools otherwise, they are just not absorbing enough water in the colon. Gut transit too fast. Coffee does speed things up. I have one black in a morning but daren't have much more than that.

But recently I decided to experiment with a fruit I have always loved and haven't been able to eat for 2 years. Apples. I can't eat much fruit. It has become my enemy sadly. Anyway I made applesauce, added a bit of grated ginger while the peeled apples were cooking, then when it cools down I add some honey. Honey is high Fodmap so might not suit everyone, but I am OK with it. If you're not, add plain sugar instead. Just sugar, not artificial sweetener.

I started off with a few teaspoons to see how I was with it, and all was well, so I graduated to eating a whole small cooked apple made into applesauce (so easy to make!) for breakfast every day, followed by some plain white bread toast and small amount of butter.  For a few days my stools became better formed, and quite normal (number 4 on Bristol scale)

I have run out of apples right now, but it might have been the pectin in them which helped...I don't know.

Weird because apples are high Fodmap!

Either that or my IBS did what it usually does...that is disappear for a while for no logical reason. But it might be worth a try?

On 4/14/2022 at 12:05 PM, mbdavis1976 said:

Alex,

Any results from your biopsies?  

Hope you're doing well

Hello! 

Finally my colon was in good shape and all the exams discarded i had a worse disease.

My problem dissapeared now im eating with no restrictions and frome time to time i have loose stools but most often they are very good shaped, not hard to clean. Some foods make me bloat and produce more gasses, but in general i have been well enough.

I believe my problem is very related to my emotional health, i have been struggling with some issues for a long time and now i feel im more "prepared" to deal with. 

Another thing that helps a lot is eating chia seeds, i can notice the difference, they make stool well formed.

Hope this testimony be helpful for others who are suffering from this, im no native english speaker so excuse me if its not well written.