Advertisement

Advertisement

Success story!!

elizabethmaslanka

Advertisement

Hello all! I want to share my story and perhaps give some hope. I have been well for several years now but have been hesitant to post anything in fear I might jinx it haha; however I think now is the time to share my healing journey.

I was diagnosed with IBS by a GI doctor and struggled with it for 7 years. I had both IBS-C and IBS-D. My symptoms started when I was 17 and worsened over the years. It got so bad that there were only about 20 foods that I could eat and not strongly react to. I tried everything to heal. I tried a host of Drs, meds, supplements, diets, chiropractic's,  naturopathies, etc. Nothing seemed to help. I was at my lowest point 3 years ago and felt so anxious, depressed, alone, scared, and isolated. It was then that I learned about the connection between the mind and body and started to heal. I read a book by Dr John Sarno called the divided mind and another one by Dr Howard Schubiner called unlearn your pain (There are a host of other books on the same topic but those are the two I found most helpful). I began to realize that stress and suppressed emotions can cause a physical symptom such as diarrhea or constipation. I learned that I was focusing so much on my body and symptoms and ignoring the emotional hurt that I felt for so many years. I was unlearning what I was taught by my family and so many healthcare professionals saying there was something wrong with my body.  I learned that suppressing my emotions and hyper focusing on my symptoms were the real disease. I experienced true healing that was heartbreaking,  raw, and freeing.  I have been a registered  nurse for the past 5 years and work in primary care and can say that IBS is not caused from your GI tract but from your brain. This has been verified for me both from my observations with patients, chronic pain seminars that I've attended through my work, and my own personal experience. I am completely cured from IBS for the past 2 years and will occasionally get a flare up when under a lot of stress. When I do have a flare I do not get upset because I have learned that 100% of all humans will get a physical symptom when stressed whether its upset stomach, heart palpitations, back pain, blushing, hives etc. I know that IBS and chronic pain can make you feel so alone and scared. I know the pain and isolation because I have been there, but there is hope for healing. Whoever is reading this know that you deserve to live a joyful life and to be free of chronic pain. Healing may be painful when digging up emotional suffering, but the truth will ultimately set you free. I do not want to preach that I know all the answers because my healing was only made possible by the fruits of caring doctors, psychologists, and other people who have shared their success stories. Now it is time that I also will humbly share my story of healing in hopes that even one person may find it helpful, which would make the many years of suffering have some meaning. Thank you for those of you who read my long post to the end and God bless!  

Advertisement

PS: Also I can now eat ANY food I want and it is WONDERFUL. I will never give up gluten, ice-cream, or a good cocktail ever again!! ;)

Hi Elizabeth, 

Thanks for your encouraging testimony.  You remind me of one of my doctors who told me, when I said something has gone wrong with my stomach and he replied, that something has gone wrong in my brain!

• 2 months later...

@brownin yes! Your brain can cause real physical symptoms. That is why so many people with IBS also have other problems such as chronic pain, anxiety/depression, menstrual issues, hives, migraines, etc. The mind can cause many symptoms to keep you from feeling unpleasant emotions. It also explains the placebo effect and why  naturopathic supplements, diet change, or medication cause temporary relief but does not last long term.