New here with IBS

scoop_1972

Hello everyone.

I was diagnosed with IBS several years ago. I am never quite sure which type I have but all I know is that I deal with this problem on a daily basis.

I am hoping that I can find some possible solutions or ideas on here that may help going forward.

My IBS causes me anxiety, so when it flares up I can panic about where I am going, how long it will take to get there, is there a bathroom on the way etc.

Right now there seems to be a pattern that the IBS is particularly active in a morning before work and when I have finished. I start work at 6am but am awake at 4am to ensure that I feel relaxed enough to make the journey to work via public transport. And on returning home I have to wait until I am totally relaxed.

I currently use an app on my mobile which shows me where the nearest toilets are, but in a morning that can be a problem as nowhere is open at the time i go to work. 

I keep a food diary to see if what I am eating or drinking is triggering my IBS. 

However, the IBS can trigger the anxiety and vice-versa. So, I am open to any info or suggestions on medication or trying to combat this in any way

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...
Jeffrey Roberts

Hello,

Mornings are the worst time of day for a lot of people with IBS, including me. It certainly does create a lot of anxiety related to work, etc..

Have you considered diaphragmatic breathing for when you are really anxious? That has helped me out in more challenging situations.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try that one out thanks and see how I get on.

As I said I usually get anxious and this is now effecting the way in which I travel to work. I used to go by bus making sure I was totally relaxed beforehand, but now it's gotten to the point where I am having to pay for taxis as they are quicker. I have considered learning to drive but that takes time which I haven't got. I need to sort this out asap.

An expense I could do without!

Jeffrey Roberts

I hear you. I used to plan my route when I was going to the office.

99.9% of the time I didn't need to deviate from my route, but the insurance was there knowing where I could find a toilet.

scoop_1972,

The only thing that I can suggest which might help (if you haven't already tried it) is adjusting your sleep-wake routine if possible at all.
Such as getting up really early which also means going to bed earlier each evening. Then you would have a good two or three hours maybe to do all "necessary business" as many times as you need in a relaxed way before taking off for work.
Don't go near any trigger foods the evening before. Eat light foods that don't irritate your gut...maybe some protein and suitable veggies and some easy on the gut carbs like white rice or potatoes or whatever suits you and you like, and don't eat later than  4 or 5 hours before going to sleep.

I don't know what kind of breakfast you have, but keep it light. I know I can't tolerate things like oats or fruit (too much fibre), and for me a couple of pieces of white toast  with butter don't trouble my gut. I am halfway to almost skipping breakfast, and often feel a calmer gut that way.
I make up for it later as much as possible with more nutritious foods when my stomach is ready.

Changing sleep patterns might hurt at first, and you might get some sleep deprivation for a couple of days, but if you keep up that routine the body and sleep cycle should get used to it.
Just knowing there's "nothing more to come out" in the morning might be a reassurance? So you might find you are confident enough to take the bus?
Taxis are so expensive.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have had IBS for the last 10 years and I am always looking to learn more about what it is and how I can manage it.  I have learned a lot from posts and physicians and IG posts.  One thing that I just came across was an IBS Class by a professor at UCLA and I have listened to part of this class and it is really educational and teaches how to manage symptoms.  So far it has been great and I wanted to share that with you.  

If you go to  https://emeranmayer.com/ you can take a quiz to tell you what type of Gut personality you have and then you can sign up for his class called, "Intuitive IBS".

It is very informative and is based on his 40 years of research at UCLA.

Best,

• 2 months later...

I have dealt with IBS since childhood and it is so mentally exhausting, I feel for you deeply! I, too, wake up hours earlier than I need to in order to get my issues situated before work. Aside from a very restrictive diet, an antidepressant worked best for me. Apparently it has a soothing effect on bowels. I was on Paxil and felt much relief. I gained weight but that may not be the case for you. Good luck. I know how this impacts every area of life 😔