IBS-D and Chills?

kimberlybw

Hi, I've been dealing with IBS for nearly ten years now ever since I had my gallbladder removed (though I think it was before then and the two issues exacerbated each other). A recent flare up due to my own mistake has me wondering if anyone else experiences this... when I have an attack, my body temp goes a little crazy. I can be super hot and then feel freezing shortly after. But I also get what seems like the chills on and off, like when having a fever but I don't have a fever.

Does anyone else experience this? It's always gone hand in hand with a flare up so I assumed it was related to IBS but suddenly I'm wondering if it could be something else. 

Take care. 

@kimberlybw I get those effects too. It's happening to me right now. Every time I get a bad flare, I first of all get a "hot flush" (I am YEARS past the menopause so it's not that.) and then I feel kind of claustrophobic or something. Then I use the bathroom, and am always very very shaky after that. Then I start getting chilly and shivery but have no actual fever while all this is going on.

I don't know if the shivery feeling is related to some kind of shock the body feels, or a sudden drop in core temperature perhaps, after losing a lot from the gut, or if it's sheer tiredness? I don't know. I get it in every flare.

• Like 1

@Esjie I'm sorry you have to deal with that, but I am relieved to know I'm not the only one. What you have described is exactly what happens to me! 

Hi Kimberly,

These chills and shakiness have to do with stimulation of the vagus nerve....apparently somewhat common...if you google IBS and chills or sweats, you should get some answers.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

I also have had that experience if it's a bad flare-up.

I was recently told I have pancreatitis which also affects the way a person processes fats.

I make every effort not to consume more than 10 grams of fat in any given meal. If I miscalculate,

I always feel bad the next morning--i.e. diarrhea.

I've tried lipase enzymes but so far none seem to have worked.

anyone else find supplements that have helped?

Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

I get chills after diarrhea if I get up to go in the middle of the night.  When I get back in bed I get the chills, sometimes have to put on warmer pajamas.