Can IBS symptoms change after a viral infection?

Cherrie

I've recently had a viral infection for a week (fever, nasal congestion, sinus issues, tested negative for covid). After this my IBS has flared up, but unlike what it usually does, I've been having night time pain, which makes me toss and turn for quite a while before falling asleep and wakes me up really early in the morning (around 5:30). This is now, which does seem to be better than when it first happened. Right after the head cold, I was woken up by pain and had diarrhea at night for a couple of nights. Since then I've been stuck with the pain before falling asleep for a few weeks. Some nights the pain wakes me up, and some nights it doesn't. I'm wondering if it's because of the recent viral infection? Will the nightly pain stop after some time? Hopefully it's not going to change my symptom pattern forever (I'm exhausted)? TIA

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure in my case.I started getting IBS symptoms only 2 or 3 times in 2017, then in 2018 a week of it. Then it completely disappeared until early March 2020, when it came and went for 3 weeks just prior to me catching the first wave of Covid.
The weird thing is when I had Covid my gut was okay! And it was okay for about 6 weeks after recovering. But then IBS came back and really hasn't gone since then, with the exception of a day, a few days, and last summer even a few weeks without symptoms.
So it sounds odd but I thought Covid had cured my IBS! But no. And it has been even more set-in since about June 2020. So has it made it worse? I can't say. Maybe it would have had that pattern anyway. I don't know.
During Covid I could eat anything.
I have noticed that in the past few months I can eat fewer foods without reactions than I could even in 2020. (mostly vegetables, fruits and fibre foods.)

15 hours ago, Esjie said:

I am not sure in my case.I started getting IBS symptoms only 2 or 3 times in 2017, then in 2018 a week of it. Then it completely disappeared until early March 2020, when it came and went for 3 weeks just prior to me catching the first wave of Covid.
The weird thing is when I had Covid my gut was okay! And it was okay for about 6 weeks after recovering. But then IBS came back and really hasn't gone since then, with the exception of a day, a few days, and last summer even a few weeks without symptoms.
So it sounds odd but I thought Covid had cured my IBS! But no. And it has been even more set-in since about June 2020. So has it made it worse? I can't say. Maybe it would have had that pattern anyway. I don't know.
During Covid I could eat anything.
I have noticed that in the past few months I can eat fewer foods without reactions than I could even in 2020. (mostly vegetables, fruits and fibre foods.)

Wow, I have to say, Covid is the weirdest virus ever! I gut has calmed down a bit now... don't know when it's going to play up again, but better now. I'm just extremely tired. So tired that I can't even think sometimes...

I get really tired randomly too sometimes. I can sleep well, but as soon as I get going, feel exhausted with terrible lower back pains. I don't know if that has anything to do with IBS, or it's just me, pushing an old body too hard. I have a lot of physical work to do.

But the exhaustion can come and go, and some days I feel fine with decent energy. When it happens it feels like something completely emptied my fuel tank!

I have back problems anyway and it might be that which drains me rather than just the ibs,

On 5/21/2022 at 9:26 PM, Esjie said:

I get really tired randomly too sometimes. I can sleep well, but as soon as I get going, feel exhausted with terrible lower back pains. I don't know if that has anything to do with IBS, or it's just me, pushing an old body too hard. I have a lot of physical work to do.

But the exhaustion can come and go, and some days I feel fine with decent energy. When it happens it feels like something completely emptied my fuel tank!

I have back problems anyway and it might be that which drains me rather than just the ibs,

(((Hugs))) know how you feel. I now really suspect that what I got was indeed mild omicron although the test was negative. I've been really foggy brained and exhausted and my belly hurts almost everyday with on and off diarrhea. It's been really draining...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that Covid bug can hang on a bit with some people. I told you did I?....that at first I thought it had cured my IBS?? All I felt for a month or more was just a little bit 'convalescent' and a bit weak when walking up hills, but I was happy enough. I felt quite positive in myself. But nope...the IBS won in the end and came back.

But it makes sense that with some people it could hang on a while in the gut. With me, it was more breathing and heart symptoms. However, those eventually got better. I hope you will find the same and your IBS will ease up. It can and often does with some people.

It seems IBS has a mind of its own. I had endless bloating and discomfort a few hours after a meal about a week ago. Then suddenly (while eating exactly the same foods!) the bloating went and the evening discomfort went...for now anyway. I have no idea why. But my IBS behaves like a politician's promises :D