Linzess

gutsygreen

I have RX for Linzess in progress(requires Prior Approval). I'm wondering about long-term use

of this drug. Most clinical trials n these new drugs last only 12 weeks. Is this RX meant to return GI tract to regular spontaneious bowel movements for those who suffer constipation. Then at some point discontnue use?

• 1 month later...
Jeffrey Roberts
On 6/17/2022 at 11:04 AM, gutsygreen said:

I have RX for Linzess in progress(requires Prior Approval). I'm wondering about long-term use

of this drug. Most clinical trials n these new drugs last only 12 weeks. Is this RX meant to return GI tract to regular spontaneious bowel movements for those who suffer constipation. Then at some point discontnue use?

My understanding is that you can stay on Linzess indefinitely. The clinical study is interested in endpoints and so they chose 12-weeks to determine if it was effective for approval purposes. It doesn't speak to indefinite use. You can certainly try weaning off of it and see if you have long term relief without it.