New to the Group

Revan Sithari

Just wanted to introduce myself.

You can call me Revan. I have been suffering from IBS since Oct1995. It came into being from a motor vehicle crash on 3Jan1993. I was in the breakdown lane when a drunk driver; the 4th in a 2 year span, drove into me at over 100mph. I died but for some reason Death rejected me and threw me back. There was no light or tunnel or my life flashing on my soul's eyes on the way out but on the way back.

It is PTSD incurred and was the first symptom of it. It began one day as I was driving to work. I had normally driven 10-12 miles, but after the place went out of business the new job was 55 miles away. Well after driving there for about 45-50 days it began out of the blue. I had pooped that morning which was normal and was out of the house in the car and had to rush in to go, this happened 3-4 times before I finally left. Then again about 15-20 min later while on the road very unexpectedly and urgently. I was then getting off at every exit. Within days I was averaging from 18 to 24 times in the span of 4 hours. Needles to say I was late for work and continued to be so.

Thankfully I was good at what I do so they just kept adjusting my schedule. I was diagnosed with IBS and given Diocyclomene(?), which did not help. My Dr then scheduled me for a Barium Enema, a travesty of humiliation and discomfort. It revealed nothing abnormal. About after a year the frequency declined and became more erratic and spread throughout the day.

Though now I am incontinent, was in the past but not often( 2-4xs a year),and have had episodes of going in my pants 2-3 times in a day. The worse was when I went 6 days in a row and couple of those days multiple times. The first day right in the parking lot of the apartment complex, thankfully it was raining hard and washed it away. 2nd day not so lucky, other than it was 5:30AM. So I was able to go inside clean myself and change then head back to clean the mess in the parking lot. I have not worked in 3 years, but start my Lady's car and make sure her tires are at the proper pressure. 

I was hit by a Texting Teen 3 years ago and suffer from pinched nerve that has contorted my body and limited my mobility as well as triggering my PTSD and IBS to new levels including the incontinence. 

I have not found a medication to help nor is it influenced by diet. Just recently I have lost 20lbs in one day, from 215 to 195. It was mostly water being released. Some sludge or muddy type as well. At one point in 2020 I was up to 235, but over the course of a week I was back to 215. Again it was mostly watery, sludge, muddy releases. At the time did not think of it or associated the liquid being retained as disturbing till I dropped the 20lbs in 24 hours, though mostly released in a span of 4-5 hours. That changed things.

Since the day of the 20# loss I have had one instance of dropping 15# over 36-48 hours. And these past weeks have been fluctuating between 220 and 208. I will not take anything that may cause constipation as retaining up to 5 gallons of liquid excrement is frightening and the possibility of that increasing in volume and rupturing my intestines is even more terrifying and most likely deadly. Pretty sure the pain from the rupture and the subsequent septic shock would hinder me from dialing 911 and probably be dead before they arrived. 

I hardly leave my home and sometimes cannot make it the 20-25 feet to the bathroom, thank God I have polished concrete floors! Have even left a trail the entire way a few times, but there are times the diaper holds most with just minor leakage.

Since 1997 I generally average 3 hours of sleep. Had not had any REM sleep in over a decade. And when I was working and driving would have episodes 3-4 a year where I would go 160-180+ hours with no sleep. Yet I still was able to drive and had more energy than my co-workers half my age. You really see things differently after 120 hours without sleep, and more so with each passing day. My last episode was in Sept2021 for about 145+, and this year had gone 110hrs maybe more in Feb and  around 85hrs in April. 

I was referred to this site by my therapist. I don't know if it will help but am willing to give it a chance. Other than my paid therapist there is nobody in my life who really wants to discuss this or help. 

Jeffrey Roberts

Hello Revan,

I'm truly sorry to read your story about how difficult a life it has been for you. I understand the difficulty of just trying to get through each day.

You discussed about your urgency and incontinence. What about abdominal pain? Do you experience that too?

Has anyone ever suggested using a low dose of an antidepressant to try and slow down the number of bowel movements you have per day? Besides that there is a medication called viberzi which helps with pain and also is helpful for people who have a lot of urgency and uncontrolled BMs daily.

You mentioned therapy; did you know that there are now 2 new methods of treating IBS with a therapy based treatment called Mahana IBS and hypnotherapy with an app called Regulora. You might also benefit from one or both of these.

Jeff

No. No pain. As it is more psychologically induced. The Doc in 95 told me that after the medication was having no effect. 

Sadly about 30 days after the Barium Enema overview he moved to Seattle. Ever since then I get a new Dr every 3 years either because they stop practicing for family reasons or move, or either I move, lose my insurance, and so forth. Gotta love the American healthcare and insurance system.

No on antidepressants but did take Zoloft and Prozac but did not like the way they made me feel. Looking at the world through a fish eye lens and not so well thoughts.

Not big on any pharma stuff. Do not trust it. Too often you see a med pushed then 5-10 years later ads for law suits. I tend to be in that .0001% of having the worse happen. Still here and like to be that way as long as possible even if in incessant pain with a deformed body that has BM issues.

I laugh at myself and that helps me get through a lot. Still just waiting for that meteorite. Probably just knock a foot or limb off though. Still I'll laugh. Cause if you laugh at yourself no one can laugh at you but only with you. 

How many Drunk drivers have hit you? In my world I am the only one. No one I know or met has had that happen nor knocked off the road from black ice(5xs) nor were leaves (1x).The first ran me down as I was walking. Sent me flying 40' into the 24sq' of brick between 2 8x10 windows. Luck like that has it's limits. Yet ended up in the state penitentiary for the night and the kid who ran me down let go by the 2 cops who witnessed the whole thing. Guess no one expected me to get up and walk over and beat the kid. He hit me with a car and made angry, so I beat his face into the steering wheel and broke his nose. Seemed fair. 

Had an intercostal surgery to relieve pain and it only made it worse, which was in the 4% of patients. And the Dr wanted to do surgery on my neck. No thanks. Pain over paralysis any day. 

Pain let's you know your alive so it's good. I have a high tolerance from being a chef. You deal with salt, lemon juice, and black pepper in cracked skin or cuts 10 hours a day and 2nd to 3rd degree burns and still having to reach over burners at full blast or a 700° charcoal grille you begin to laugh at people because they spilt  hot coffee on themselves, Like Seriously? 

My therapist brings up that kinda of stuff but not really into it, as there are places I do not want to go. Something's are best left in the Dark and Forgotten.

Though I'll look those up. I have a feeling it is not in the cerebrum nor cerebellum where it lurks but more in the primordial medulla. My brain has bounced around the inside of my skull quite often and from extreme amounts of force.

4.7 tons doing over 100mph is a lot of force. I was made dead so fast I have no recollection of the sound of the impact. Only memories being the multiple shadows from the various passing vehicles and overhead street lights suddenly merging to one and My last unfinished thought This ain't....(good but never formed that word in my mind before being taken by the Dark). My friend who was behind the guardrail said it was the most violent thing he saw and as he ran over half a mile to where my vehicle stopped was preparing himself to find me dead.

Was also knocked unconscious twice before this. Once from a flying elbow to the back of the head and another by a 2x4 to the back of the head. So I know what it is like to knocked unconscious and regain consciousness. The returning from the last drunken impact was not regaining consciousness but being resurrected with drawing air anew into the lungs. You do not do that when regaining consciousness from a blow as you are breathing the whole time. 

But I will still look them up. I have tried many times things from meditation and yoga, antipsychotics ( never again), confronting my fears but that only kinda made things worse, the 160hrs of sleep, probably induced by driving long distances often. Telling myself nothing to fear or it is necessary to be driving for so many reasons.

I have accepted and made peace with not sleeping more than 3-4 hours. It is a fine line between sleep and death. My conscious mind may not recall but every cell in my body remembers those moments when there was no of blood moving and the oxygen levels dropping, so after 3 hours they say that's enough we're all good to go....So Wake Up! I have gotten by alright that way for over Two Decades, even in the midst of those week long stretches. My mind was sharp and alert. I had more energy than those half my age. Though now that's slipping but as it is expected of one where I am at now. Kinda like if it ain't broken don't fix it, but more like it's broke but still working so best leave it alone.

Thank you for the advice. Will look into those latter things you mentioned.

Peace and Be Well. 

PS yeah I can get long winded. 

Looked at the sites but one major issue: they are apps. I do not use any app. Not fb, tik tok, what's app, Twitter, or any that requires personal info other than banks as they already have the info. Even my fb accounts are not my real name and no address or anything given, and I deactivate them every time I log out. And I use the website not the app, and never use Messenger must be 30 messages in there I'll never read.

First thing I do when I get a phone is remove the fb app and all others but those I am forced to keep by the carrier. I do not use Google but DuckDuck Go much to all the others dismay. My location is never accessible and I use signal. 

I did the questionnaire but ended at send info. As that's when they asked for too much. I don't trust the salesman especially when they say they don't sell your info. 

But thank you anyway. Appreciate the thought. 

Jeffrey Roberts

I find it curious that you reported no abdominal pain. Involvement of abdominal pain is a symptom often seen with IBS.

You might consider the low FODMAP diet as a means of identifying which foods may be aggravating your condition.