Suggestions

SkyGal

I am headed to Paris in a few weeks and worried about my IBS-D flaring up as we all know it happens at the most in opportune times. I have never taken Imodium to prevent diarrhea as I don’t want to be blocked up for days then have a day of nothing but spending it in the bathroom or close to it! Any thoughts or suggestions on taking it as a preventative? TIA

Jeffrey Roberts

You are right about imodium blocking you up for days. Not such a good idea on a foreign trip in case you get a food borne infection and it can't clear because you are taking imodium.

You could consider using pepto-bismol proactively. It's not as strong as imodium. The tablets are easy to travel with.

Something else to consider is a probiotic like Visbiome. You'd probably want to start taking it before you leave so you adjust to it.

Lastly, you could ask your doctor to prescribe a antispasmodic. While it is meant to help with pain, it will slow down the gut too.

Thank you Jeffrey for your suggestions. In the past I have not been too keen on prescribed meds as they may help one thing but cause a different issue. Right now I am taking 5mg of Lexapro. Honestly not sure I see any benefit…LOL I have take a pink pill (Pepto) in occasion and it seemed to help. My concern is it is not recommended to take for more than two days in a row. I have tried Align but that seemed to have made it worse. I leave in two weeks so I am going to have to figure it out and fast…last time I was there I had a “situation” and it was not pretty. And the gendarmes were not particularly sympathetic to my plight! 

Jeffrey Roberts

I think that Pepto recommends not taking it for more than 2 days in case you have an infection. Otherwise, I have heard from others that they take it regularly as a preventative measure. Lexapro, being an SSRI medication, tends to cause more D than C. Not really recommended for someone with IBS-D, though your dose is extremely low.