Mrs

Denise Lloyd

I haven't been diagnosed yet  and am waiting to have a camera  to check whether it us definitely IBS, but I have had diarrhea for 5.5 months now and done a food diary etc. The problem is that a lot of FODMAP foods will then affect my high cholesterol.  Has anyone else had diarrhea for this length of time?

Hello.  I do not mean to probe but I am going through something similar.  I have been having diarrhea every bowel movement for weeks.  Waiting to do some tests right now

Jeffrey Roberts
4 hours ago, Denise Lloyd said:

I haven't been diagnosed yet  and am waiting to have a camera  to check whether it us definitely IBS, but I have had diarrhea for 5.5 months now and done a food diary etc. The problem is that a lot of FODMAP foods will then affect my high cholesterol.  Has anyone else had diarrhea for this length of time?

Hi Denise,

Unfortunately, diarrhea for weeks is not unusual for IBS; however, there are many causes of diarrhea that are not diagnosed as IBS. Generally, a doctor familiar with the ROME criteria for diagnosing IBS can often diagnose it listening to your history. The formal diagnosis criteria requires 12 weeks of symptoms for the diagnosis so certainly not out of the question to have diarrhea for a while.

The low FODMAP diet is generally meant to be a tool to determine which foods in which quantities you can manage with a minimum of symptoms. It's not meant to be a permanent diet. I wish they would remove the word "diet" from the name.