Sore upper right tummy under ribs

Trace

Hi, I was wondering if anyone get constant sore aching spot ruq and under ribs. I usually get frequent stools up to 6 a day sometimes and niggly pains and stitch feeling but I had my gallbladder out last May after ruq pain and they found a large gallstone.  Trouble is I still get pains, they don’t warn you about this but it seems common.  I had ultrasound, everything ok except a fatty liver and slightly raised enzymes.  Then in February I was diagnosed with hip osteoarthritis (I’m 55) and so more pain on the right side!  Anyway the dr put me on FODMAP diet, did more bloodtests, enzymes still slightly elevated so she’ll repeat next week, maybe another scan.  She thinks that it’s a combination of IBS, the gallbladder removal and fatty liver! She even said it could well be that IBS was the cause and I might not have had to have gallbladder out at all 🙄I did have a very large stone so probably for the best.  Sorry for long post.  I have severe anxiety and I’m finding it hard to cope. Anyone else get similar pains? Thankyou for listening.

Jeffrey Roberts

Hi Trace,

I have had a sore achy spot under my ribs before. I have never really understood the cause. I still have my gallbladder. I do know that people without their gallbladder can often have a lot more diarrhea. They use a bile sequestrant, like cholestyramine, to try and slow down their diarrhea. That would be a shame if you had your gallbladder removed for no reason. Lots of people, especially women, seem to have unnecessary surgeries to try and help with their IBS.

Sometimes I wonder if the anxiety many of us feel is the cause of IBS or whether IBS is the cause of the anxiety. Whatever it is, I wish there wasn't such a stigma about managing the anxiety and not blaming so many of us for anxiety being the cause of our IBS symptoms.

Thankyou for replying.  I really have got into a state about this.  Things seemed to be improving until the dr said she was going to retest me and I immediately thought the worse.  Now the pain is worse again.  I feel such a mess I just can’t seem to be calm about this.☹️

• 2 weeks later...