IBS Flare-ups

Jeffrey Roberts

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm in the middle of a flareup right now.  I had been doing well for some time but got careless with the way I was eating.  For me, it's all about diet.  I must be very strict and never waver: FODMAPS diet, always NO dairy, gluten, red meat, caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, fried/ high fat foods, carbonated beverages. Eat soluble foods first at mealtime then the rest of meal after that: GF bread, oatmeal, potatoes (all veggies peeled and cut or mashed), rice, quinoa, bananas not over ripe, etc.,,  When my digestive system begins to calm down I add foods one at a time and eventually things begin to resolve. However, I have followed a fairly strict diet for years, which is the only thing that works for me.  Heather Van Vorous has an excellent website which has been the best resource for me along with the FODMAPS app from Monash University in Australia.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear that you're in the middle of a flare-up. How long do your flare-ups last? My diet is similar to yours-no dairy, gluten, garlic or onion, red meat, alcohol, carbonated drinks or fatty foods, coffee, and limited sugar. I find that I need to stick to eating about the same foods/meals every day to prevent flare-ups. Not being able to deviate from the FODMAP diet can be frustrating and not easy for travel, etc. However, (as you know) the flare-ups can be so bad it's hard to get through the day. 

Hi I'm new to the forum , really need to hear from  others who suffer from Chronic Constipation issues. I m 64, for the past 4 months I have been unable to move bowels normally. What I'm going through is ,I feel the urge to go and cannot get the bowels out. I am seeing a Gastrointestinal  

Dr. Already ruled out Fecal impaction and any blockage issues by doing a Cat Scan. He prescribed Linzess. which I take daily. This has been the only god-sending medication that has worked . The only problem is , I go ...sometimes hard but....mostly diarrhea. Its actually getting better. Lately, I am going more complete and less diarrhea. But  I am living with a constant abdominal cramping and feeling of incomplete bowel function. The Dr, also prescribed the usual stuff ..... lots of water intake, Metamucel ( Which doesn't work for me ! ) and Aerobic exercising. 

The latest prescription is he wants me to get a Sitzmarker Test. My question is , where does it  end, and has anyone taken this test and others and have seen results... like a normal bowel movement  without the daily use of medication  ?  I am like  becoming  depressed over this, and not working regular,which unfortunately at my age  I need to do.  

Lost in Yonkers.

danteq64

On 9/24/2016 at 6:16 PM, Jeffrey Roberts said:

What is the first thing you do when you discover that you are having an IBS flare-up?

It is nearly always of an evening, so if it is a flare up with cramps I take a buscopan ( I get IBSD) pill. I will also sometimes sip ginger tea for nausea. I then sit up ( I'm usually in bed then) and watch vids online to try and take my mind off it until it passes. Sometimes I will doze off a bit. I never lie down until I am feeling well.

Got a flare up now, so sat on couch  having taken a buscopan.

It is bed linen change day- wish I'd done that earlier!

Edited by HattiehatesIBS

To Millerberger--My flareup has been going on for about a month, but is improving as I am very strict. I think my current flareup was caused by being less strict about my diet.  Glad to hear that you follow an excellent IBS program. I have followed the diet we are discussing for years. However, when symptoms begin to improve, I can add more foods and be a bit looser. It is a problem when attending social events or traveling.  I always bring my own food, rarely eat out unless I research menu ahead of time so I know that there is a menu item that can be customized to my needs.  Very bad flareups last a few weeks and then settle down, but being constantly diet conscious is a way of life and works, most times preventing serious IBS pain and suffering.

Jeffrey Roberts

Missy Mardhardt: One month seems like a long time for an IBS flare-up. I would think it might wax and wane for at most a week and then improve.

Do you have multiple flare-ups over the month and you consider that one long flare-up?

Ive been having a horrible week. Pain, diarrhea, constipation and back to ER twice in a couple of days. 😫 I seriously thought the pain would kill me. It was that bad. Ive got to up my game on diet. Ive been eating the wrong vegies. I need to follow this Fodmap diet. I have all the symptoms of IBS. 

My "flareups" a probably milder than many IBS sufferers.  I was able to enjoy very few symptoms for several years recently, so that is why I am calling this past month a flareup. However, it is settling down now and being super diet conscious should help me continue to stabilize.