Flare after covid, anyone else?

sekkweil

Has anyone else relapsed after getting covid? I don't know what the connection could be, I suspect it could be the microbiome, but I have been mostly in remission for almost 2 years until this virus destroyed all my gains overnight a few weeks ago. This is the third time I get it, it seems the vaccine did not work for me, the previous two times it didn't impact my IBS this much. This is a never ending nightmare. Any tips?

Jeffrey Roberts

There have been several research papers that showed an increase in IBS after a covid infection. Doctor's are treating it as if it is post-infectious IBS (PI-IBS).

• 2 months later...

Hi, I found this site from a search looking for the same answer. I had Covid before and it was run of the mill with no gastrointestinal problems beyond the norm. I just had Covid and not a bad case of it but am now crippled by pain and running for the bathroom. I am getting so weak that it's concerning. Today is Sunday. So the doctor will have to wait, but I will be calling him tomorrow to find out what I can do and if I should be expecting this to continue or subside. 

I have found many articles about Covid causing IBS. I assume if it can cause it then it can definitely cause those of us chronic IBS people to have issues. 

Jeffrey Roberts

Hi Trish,

That's so unfortunate that you are crippled with pain and are running to the bathroom after COVID. It's so hard to separate IBS-like symptoms from other causes for pain and diarrhea. It's good that you are seeing your doctor.

No question that the receptors for covid are more apparent in the gut than in the lungs. Some people have all GI symptoms for covid and not in their lungs. Still, dealing with all these symptoms really starts getting you to question what the heck is going on.