Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Martin Burridge

My IBS success story

Martin Burridge

My IBS symptoms started in October 2014.I had constipation, burping and excruciating pain under my ribs.I lost 35 pounds (15.8kg) in weight because I basically stopped eating due to the pain. I was off work for 2 months and spent the best part of 8 months in my bedroom.  It was May 2015 before I was diagnosed as having IBS.

In June 2015 I discovered the FODMAP diet and started by reducing all FODMAP groups. The symptoms reduced 90% within days. In the next few months I discovered my trigger groups were O (inc. wheat, onion, garlic,sweetcorn,brocolli) and M (inc .apples, pears and anything containing glucose fructose syrup).

Over the next year I found my tolerance to O and M foods gradually improved but I still had to limit foods that were very high in these FODMAPs. (wheat, onions and garlic in particular),

Then  I decided to introduce a potent probiotic that did well in independent clinical trials. Its called VSL3 and it is very expensive. To save cost I only took half the dose but mixed it in a relatively cheap probiotic yogurt drink called Actimel. I took the VSL3 first thing in the morning before eating. This is because stomach acid is low at this point which gives the probiotic bacteria the best chance of surviving and reaching the bowel. 

This seemed to speed up my recovery and I was been able to eat wheat, garlic, onion and foods containing glucose fructose syrup in surprisingly large amounts without any symptoms.

There is no instant cure for IBS. I believe it is predominantly a problem of bacterial species mix  in the bowel. Changing the species mix in the bowel does not happen overnight. Both the foods we eat and some probiotics can change the mix but there is no magic formula that fits everyone. For me the mix of the FODMAP diet and VSL3 seems to have brought my IBS to an end.

The key to defeating IBS is understanding it. I learnt a lot about IBS from my experience so have shared it in a blog to help others who suffer this awful condition. You can view the blog here.

Edited by Martin Burridge
added hyperlink

Advertisement
AlisonfromSickofIBS

That's great Martin. Nice blog too.

Wish my IBS had been that easy to beat. I had had it for years, and my symptoms had become chronic. 

But I finally got there too - and created SickofIBS.com to help others move forward. 

I agree with you that it's by really understanding IBS that you can get there.

Edited by AlisonfromSickofIBS