Newbie with digestive issues

Laura2023

Hi, I've had a recent diagnosis of IBS and I'm struggling so much mentally. It started in October with stomach pains. Recently it's got worse and I can't remember the last time I had a normal bowel movement. Yesterday I had diarehea all day. I have mebeverin but doesn't help. I've had blood tests and all results normal. I'm waiting for ultrasound and to do stool test. My Dr is not concerned. I have health anxiety so ofcourse my nervous stomach makes things worse. I'm a healthy person, good diet, exercise etc but I've had to give up running. I am probably peri menopausal so not sure if this is causing IBS. Mentally I feel like I'm giving up, I just don't want to do this anymore. I feel very down. I'm reading a book on cbt for health anxiety so I'm hoping that helps. My health anxiety tells me I'm dying of cancer every day which is very distressing. Sorry for long post, I just need some hope as I feel very hopeless right now. Laura

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Laura, 

I feel you, I have been feeling very down as well from IBS-D. It’s caused my anxiety/depression to get a lot worse. I know those symptoms does not make it better. Have you thought of getting on meds? I’m on Paxil only been on for a week

Jeffrey Roberts
On 12/17/2023 at 4:35 AM, Laura2023 said:

Hi, I've had a recent diagnosis of IBS and I'm struggling so much mentally. It started in October with stomach pains. Recently it's got worse and I can't remember the last time I had a normal bowel movement. Yesterday I had diarehea all day. I have mebeverin but doesn't help. I've had blood tests and all results normal. I'm waiting for ultrasound and to do stool test. My Dr is not concerned. I have health anxiety so ofcourse my nervous stomach makes things worse. I'm a healthy person, good diet, exercise etc but I've had to give up running. I am probably peri menopausal so not sure if this is causing IBS. Mentally I feel like I'm giving up, I just don't want to do this anymore. I feel very down. I'm reading a book on cbt for health anxiety so I'm hoping that helps. My health anxiety tells me I'm dying of cancer every day which is very distressing. Sorry for long post, I just need some hope as I feel very hopeless right now. Laura

Dear Laura, I'm so sorry that you are feeling so down and ignored by your doctor. For some reason doctor's specifically in the UK do not provide the best care for people with IBS. It's truly unfortunate.

You might be on the right track looking into CBT for IBS. The US - FDA approved Mahana IBS as an app for people with IBS. It is prescription only; however, perhaps you can find a caring therapist that can work on CBT with you. It could help with your health anxiety.

Additionally, hypnotherapy is a treatment that was also approved in the US for IBS. You can either find a hypnotherapist or an app that could walk you through this.

I'm afraid I can't recommend any meds as they are all approved in Europe, but not in the UK.

It's interesting to think about peri-menopause aggravating your symptoms. I'm not sure this has ever been studied, but we do see that hormones play a big role in symptoms getting worse around a women's cycle.

Jeffrey Roberts
On 12/31/2023 at 6:03 PM, LoveCO said:

Hi Laura, 

I feel you, I have been feeling very down as well from IBS-D. It’s caused my anxiety/depression to get a lot worse. I know those symptoms does not make it better. Have you thought of getting on meds? I’m on Paxil only been on for a week

The few meds available for IBS-D in the US are Xifaxin (an antibiotic), Viberzi or Lotronex. They all work different from each other and quite different than an antidepressant like paxil. Paxil, an SSRI, might contribute to a loose stool. Tricyclic antidepressants (TCA) are typically used for IBS-D, but they don't work as well for anxiety. You might ask your doctor about Remeron which is like a TCA, but can also help some with anxiety.