38 years living with IBS

Corrine

I have been living with IBS for 38 years.

I showed up when I was 20 years old after my son got killed in a car accident.

The first thing I do is locate the bathroom wherever I go, and when I tell my husband it's critical he knows to speed off or run fast to get me there quickly. Yes I've had many accidents but I keep pushing through. I never was ted to take medication but I was curled up in a ball 24 hours a day with severe cramping and pain, the doctor prescribed amitriptyline I thought I better take it before I gave to do something to myself to get rid of the pain, so I took it 2 pills at 8 pm every night, in less than 10 minutes the pain went away. Well that took care of the pain and cramping now what was I going to do about the severe diarrhea and urgency to get to the bathroom especially after I eat each meal. Turns out a few years ago I had to get my gallbladder out so then I had a double whammy. I'm by no means cured, I have good days and bad days, but I've learned a few things over the years.

I can't eat fried greasy food, no spicy food, no coffee. I try to cut out the sugar and eat a healthy diet and exercise that helps a lot. My diet is bland but I don't know any better having done this more than half of my life.

I keep plugging away and hoping someday that they will figure this thing out.

It's always good to hear what works for other people.

Jeffrey Roberts

Dear Corrine,

I am so sorry to read that you lost your son so many years ago.

Thank you for sharing what works for you. I appreciate "works" is varying as IBS tends to wax and wane. Having your gallbladder removed is often what has brought on daily diarrhea for some people.