Constipation

Trana

Hello,

I have been struggling with chronic constipation now for 3yrs and have gone back n forth to hospital and family Dr and they just keep pushing to keep taking Metamucil/Restoralax 2x/day. I have been using this treatment which today seems to have stopped working. I don't know what to do. I'm lost with no help!

I was told it was IBS-C, slow bowels, slow transit constipation, functional constipation. No exact diagnosis. Just pushing OTC supplements. 

I had a Colonoscopy 2020, Sigmoidoscopy 2021, numerous CT Scans, Anorectal Manometry 2023... All normal!! 

I'm angry at 59F to be having to go thru this debilitating condition alone. I have no clue what else to do or how they will provide treatment.

I need medication!! 

I appreciate hearing others experiences. TIA

Edited by Trana

Jeffrey Roberts

Dear Trana,

I'm sorry that you have gone back and forth to the hospital and your family doctor with no relief. Has anyone suggested you be seen by a gastroenterologist who can dig a little deeper into your symptoms?

There are numerous medications available in Canada for IBS-C other than simply OTC. Those OTC meds might be used in conjunction with a prescription medication.

1. Constella

2. Resotran (indication is for chronic idiopathic constipation)

3. Trulance

4. Ibsrela

I am so sorry you are suffering like this.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for ur reply! I had seen the gastro for my colonoscopy/sigmoidoscopy and he kinda wrote me off. The nerve! 😫 I have pushed my family Dr to see a new gastro and she won't refer me either. I am frustrated beyond words! I can't believe these medical professionals gaslighting me into a corner to keep suffering. This is beyond acceptable! Are there Drs in a private setting available in Toronto, Barrie...Ontario? If so, please advise. Thx!! 

Edited by Trana

Jeffrey Roberts

I am so sorry. This is not an uncommon problem in Canada. Unfortunately, if your family doctor will not support referral to another GI doctor you are stuck. The only way to see someone would be to be scoped at a clinic not in a hospital. Your family doctor can make that referral. When the GI doctor scopes you they also do a consult before and after the procedure. That is the only way to work the system.

Given that there are all these meds available, you might keep asking your family doctor if you can try them. They can prescribe them. It doesn't have to be a GI doctor.

If all else fails, you can make an appt with a GI doctor in a US border town and pay cash for your visit.

I'm really so sorry. The system is really broken for patients who are desperate for some help.

Jeffrey Roberts

I was thinking about this. You might have a conversation with your doctor to see if they know a Gastro doctor that specializes in IBS. The only one that I am aware of in Toronto is Dr. Colleen Parker at Toronto Western Hospital. She might be on mat leave right now.

Posted (edited)

Thank u! I will be following up with this dr.  I have a referral for Dr. Liu at TWH. He's head of the Gastro clinic there. I have also written to his secretary Ms. Lemieux this is now going on 3 mos and I have yet to hear from anyone there! The health care is in the dumpster in Ontario. 😭

Edited by Trana

Jeffrey Roberts

Healthcare in Canada is on life support. It really isn't much better in the US. Covid really messed up healthcare.

Good luck!

I have finally gotten help with my chronic constipation.    I was sent to a physical therapist who specializes in Cc.    She massaged my colon and used a sonic probe on me to loosen up all the scaring on my colon from endometriosis .    I went 3 months.  Once a week.   I also started taking the Linzess every morning with my coffee , then ate 30 minutes later.  Along with buying the potty stool and a bidet toilet seat, I am now normal.   I hope this help someone. Oh I also take miralax every morning too.  Now I am not going to PT but get in the floor every morning and do the exercises she game me.  I massage my colon with a tennis ball!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trana,

I'm so sorry -that sounds incredibly hard. I also had IBS (and still do) for a very long time. I was for over a year trying to get help and no one could help me it seemed. I think my case wasn't as bad as yours. I hope that the system can help you!