Embarrassed 😞

LoveCO

I have IBS-D for 20 yrs. I’m now trying to eat healthier as it has been flaring up a lot due to work/life/home stress. I have had leakage at work and now everyone knows I’m disgusting. The comments of take a shower or I’m going to throw up has made my anxiety and depression sky rocket so much I just can’t take it. I have left jobs due to me smelling. I’m now on Paxil for my depression/anxiety. I’m hoping that will calm some of my symptoms but the damage is done at work. I just want to quit and live under a rock. I cry myself to sleep cause no one wants to be near me. I just don’t want to feel like I’m the only one going through this. 

Jeffrey Roberts

Dear LoveCO, I'm so sorry to read this. This is a medical condition and I'm sorry that ignorant workers have treated you this way.

Leakage is not uncommon for people with IBS-D. Have you ever discussed this with your doctor? There might be a physical problem that is causing this.

I wish I had an immediate answer for you. Please know that many of us understand what you are going through.

Hi Jeffrey, thank you for responding. It’s just hard dealing with this. My coworkers wouldn’t even care if I explained my situation. It’s causing so much stress making me flare up more.

Just never ending cycle of this. 
I have discussed this with my doctor. She told me to work on stress and take fiber pills as well as have a colonoscopy. I’m holding off on the colonoscopy for awhile. I’m going to work on my stress, and eating better to see if it gets better

Jeffrey Roberts

It really is devastating when people treat someone ill this way. I think you should put your energy into trying to find a cause and hopefully a treatment.

I'm not sure stress is going to necessarily relieve leakage. Imodium and pepto-bismol does help some people with this. I would ask your doctor about that.

You might need a colonoscopy or even a defecation / pelvic floor study.

• 2 weeks later...

Ask you doctor to prescribe cholestyramine powder.  I take it in juice in the a.m. and p.m. as well as Align probiotic. I swear, I suffered with IBS-D for 30 years.  The cholestyramine and Align have changed my life. It really is a miracle.  Good luck.

Jeffrey Roberts

While cholestyramine is not for everyone, it definitely improves stool consistency for many people with diarrhea. So glad it gave you your life back.

So sorry you are dealing with that stressful work situation.

Taking soluble fiber (Metamucil) has seemed to help me a fair amount in terms of reducing symptoms. It hasn't completely gotten rid of problems but it seems to improve consistency. I haven't really had problems with leakage so cannot speak to that. I found working with a dietician helpful as well. You may be aware, but it's best to gradually increase your fiber. I have found the capsules easiest for me.

I've been in a flare up phase for a few months due to stress (I think) of changing jobs. I've been taking Align for a while to see if that helps. Tried amitriptyline for a while which seemed to help relieve some of the depression/anxiety I tend to experience when I'm having symptoms. My doctor and I decided to stop it since I was experiencing a few side effects, one of which was constipation. Even though I've stopped taking it it seems I don't get as low or anxious as I had been before taking amitriptyline. Don't know if it would have a lingering affect or if it's just coincidence.