Symptoms

Dek

I am 68 and have these symptoms : severe left - sided abdominal pains/chest pains/ cold sweats and a desperate urge to go to the loo. Are these IBS symptoms or is it something else? This has been going on for months now and the pain is getting too much to bear. Please help.

Jeffrey Roberts

Dear Dek,

I am sorry that you are feeling so unwell.

To be honest your age is a factor to start having new pain. Unfortunately there are many explanations for those symptoms. You really need to be seen by a doctor.

It would help to tell the doctor if the abdominal pain is relieved by a bowel movement? Also, are your bowel movements formed, loose or clumpy? Does anything relieve the pain?

Independently, chest pain and cold sweats are also heart related. I doctor would be the best person to evaluate all of this.

Thank you for replying. I have had a colonoscopy, tried glucose free diet, probiotics and nothing seems to work. The pain does ease but only when my bowels are completely empty. I don’t know if the two are related. I am being palmed off with trainee doctors now as they seem to have given up on me. I also have stage one lung cancer and copd so I am bedridden and miserable. I don’t know if I can put up with this much longer.

Jeffrey Roberts

You have a lot going on. I completely understand how miserable this is for you.

I am not sure about your lung cancer and copd treatment; however, perhaps that might explain the chest pain and cold sweats.

Good that you had a colonoscopy. I would ask to either have an abdominal CT or an abdominal MRI. Let's rule other things out before you deal with the pain.

If it is IBS, then a low FODMAP diet would be considered. It is not a permanent diet. You use it to determine which foods high in FODMAP you reduce.

As for pain, you could try Buscopan which is over the counter. It is an antispasmodic and used around meals.

Still - I worry that something else is going on and this is not IBS.