campylobacter jejuni and IBS

Paul ski

Hello

My first post, hope someone can help and advice me please. In March 2023 I had campylobacter jejuni for about twelve days confirmed twice by Lab testing. I was given two types of anti-biotics. I have never fully recovered from the campylobacter jejuni. Lower abdominal , bowel habit change, urgency for the toilet. FIT test negative, Calprotectin test negative, FBC bloods negative. Given my age 66 and Male obviously cancer of colon must be considered. Should I now opt for C.T colonoscopy or colonoscopy ,because my tests are returning normal, but my symptoms persist .Do the heavy diseases have to be removed from the mix before IBS is diagnosed. 

Jeffrey Roberts

Hello Paul,

I have had campylobacter infection so I completely understand what you are going through. Some of the research done by Dr. Mark Pimentel in Los Angeles is around the development of IBS after this type of infection. There is a blood test that looks for a particular marker. https://www.ibssmart.com. That will confirm the IBS; however, you are right about your age.  It might mean that you should do some additional testing.

If you have never had a colonoscopy, I would suggest you speak to your doctor about having that. A CT or MRI can be helpful; however, you can always do that if the colonoscopy is normal.

I can tell you that people with post-infectious IBS, which sounds like you have, might never completely go away; however, I would rule everything out first and then you can focus on treatment to help with the symptoms.

Hello

Thank you for your reply. In the UK you need a positive FIT test for a a two week referral for bowel screening colonoscopy. The UK lean heavily on FIT test results for secondary care referral. My Dr is confident that negative FIT test [symptomatic] and calprotectin negative is a good start. I have read that a calprotectin test should never be carried out on a person over 60 years old in the NHS here in the UK for diagnostics, is this the same in other countries do you know. 

If this is IBS and what its doing to me mentally and physically in such a short period of time, and just two weeks into my retirement is debilitating. The  NHS here in the UK is cutting down on colonoscopy procedures due service over runs, costs, and stress caused to patient's with a procedure not required.

My campylobacter infection was 15 days in induration and a notifiable disease here in the UK.

To the people who are IBS confirmed in this forum , My thoughts are with you all .Once I have a colonoscopy  I will let you know.

Regards

Paul 

Hello

So have arranged a colonoscopy, was going to have a CT colonoscopy but really don't want the radiation hit with the CT. One other symptom I have notice once I made the the colonoscopy appointment my condition switched on. I was in fight or flight mode ,tense , heightened etc. This happens around any difficult meetings or appointments. Is this a trait of IBS, stress switching it on.     

Edited by Paul ski

Jeffrey Roberts

I am pleased that you are having a scoped colonoscopy and not a CT colonoscopy. Nobody needs that much radiation.

I am in Canada and I don't believe the US or Canada require a FIT test in order to perform a colonoscopy. The calprotectin test should be fine for someone over 60. The issue is that you have to stop NSAID meds before you do it as it can skew the results.

Here in the U K , my primary physician [ GP] can not refer directly for colonoscopy. You must be referred to a consultant for decision on colonoscopy ,CT,MRI etc. As I stated the FIT test is mailed out to you, and results mailed back, a positive test usually puts you on the two week wait for cancer screening and negative result does not refer you. The only way to get a colonoscopy is on symptoms ,if all other tests are returning normal, because the NHS FIT test program has resulted in thousands of colonoscopy's that where never required.