Has anyone else experienced this?

C.S.

I was diagnosed with spastic colon...IBS over ten years ago. I take two Immodium every morning. Sometimes doesn't seem like it works well but I can definitely tell the difference if I don't take it. Sometimes I can literally be fine one minute and the next have cramps and pain and am running for the bathroom. I never know when it might hit me. Sometimes I can eat something and no problems. Other times I can eat the same thing and running for the bathroom.  Lately it's to the point where I just don't want to eat anything at all. Has anyone experienced these same issues and what have you tried that has helped or at least made it more bearable to deal with?

Jeffrey Roberts

My IBS is certainly unpredictable like this.

Is this new unpredictability new for you? Do you mind sharing your age? >45 years old?

Have you spoken to your doctor about this as there are a couple of medications that might offer a different way of living than with Imodium.

On 1/27/2024 at 1:11 PM, Jeffrey Roberts said:

My IBS is certainly unpredictable like this.

Is this new unpredictability new for you? Do you mind sharing your age? >45 years old?

Have you spoken to your doctor about this as there are a couple of medications that might offer a different way of living than with Imodium.

No been going on for a while now, but does seem to have gotten a little worse. I am 55 years old. And i have not spoken to my doctor about other medications.

Jeffrey Roberts

I think the first step is to speak to a doctor. It's likely just more of the same, but changes or symptoms above the age of 45 really should be investigated.

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2024 at 9:03 AM, C.S. said:

No been going on for a while now, but does seem to have gotten a little worse. I am 55 years old. And i have not spoken to my doctor about other medications.

Any updates? Hope you found a rhythm that works for you. 

• 2 weeks later...

C.S., I totally understand you because this is happening to me. I feel you because 10 years is so much; I have been dealing wiht IBS-d for about 4 years and I am afraid how long I will have to deal with it. Medication hasn't helped too much and I am in the highest dose. I go to my store only when they open early or when they're about to close so that I don't see much people and feel less anxious and I know where exactly the washroom is and I do the same when I have to go and see my Doctor. And people don't really understand how it feels, they think that it is just about "go to the washroom before you go out and that's it" how unpredictable is,  it is so difficult.  

Edited by anamoon

Yes, Anamoon, it sucks. You never know when it will hit you. Sometimes I am afraid

to even go anywhere. I hope you can find some relief for yourself. It's a never ending 

nightmare sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

The worst for me is not just having unpredictable episodes but the sudden urges can easily lead to incontinence

that’s the nightmare for me

its horrible to lose it when I’m alone but my boyfriend has been a witness too many times 

I just started a new medication so I’m praying it’s going to be my salvation 

Diana,

That is my biggest fear. Weather I'm at home or out somewhere. I have had a few episodes and

a lot of near misses. I hope you can find relief with your new medication.

On 4/3/2024 at 4:10 PM, diana j said:

The worst for me is not just having unpredictable episodes but the sudden urges can easily lead to incontinence 

Yup, totally agree. Once I was on the road working thinking all was well then boom urge to go and pains, I was middle of nowhere. Looking on google maps for the next gas station while trying to keep calm. Luckily one came up within 5 minutes. This was before I knew about Immodium and Metamucil. 

Hope the medication works for you and please post back and let us know

Edited by Rumble