Rapid heartbeat & IBS

Lyn-l

Hi there, I’m new to this community and I’m newly diagnosed with IBS. I’ve been experiencing a lot of anxiety and depression and rapid heart beats or palpations when I’m experiencing symptoms. I’m also going between eating and not eating as I can’t decide which feels worse. I often have feelings of weakness and stomach selling and nausea along with frequent trips to bathroom. Mornings are hellish as everything starts at 4:30 am and I don’t feel human until near moon. How do I live like this. Need words of hope. And any suggestions please!

Jeffrey Roberts

Hi Lyn-I,

I'm sorry for the rollercoaster that you are living. While rapid heartbeat isn't directly related to IBS, the flight or fright of living with this can cause a certain amount of panic. Some people with IBS become malnourished and have a form of ARFID (Avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder). This is not good for anyone.

There are definite treatments that help some people some of the time. No treatment is permanent; however, you could have a better quality of life.

Have you been explaining all of this to your doctor(s)?

Thanks for replying, I do have an appointment this week and also was in ER two weeks ago. They found nothing wrong in ER. At least with blood work and EKG and Lung . I wasn’t meaning to not eat every just that the nausea is so intense I feel like I’ll throw up and if I do eat I feel the same way. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. 
lyn

Jeffrey Roberts

I understand about not being able to eat because of nausea. Nausea on its own is not a symptom of IBS, and is very treatable with medication. Zofran (ondansetron) is a medication that helps nausea and IBS-D too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have to say your symptoms are similar to mine , I’ve had IBS-C and Alternating bouts of IBS-D and the nausea and rapid heart beat during a flare is anxiety with me because I have panic attacks also and during a flare I’m not sure how bad the flare is going to be , and I worry I’ll be late for work or any other event so it causes great anxiety and panic , I’m so sorry your dealing with this ,it does definitely interfere with your quality of life . I’m now taking I-Bguard and eating oatmeal everyday and it’s helped a lot and trying not to stress. Stressful situations will definitely add to the flares I pray this helps you to know you’re not alone with this condition.