IBS-D and anxiety

Ash95

Hi, I'm 28 years old and I have suffered with anxiety for years now. I'm going for an interview today and I'm extremely nervous. I usually get anxious when my IBS acts up and now I'm already anxious because of the interview. I went to the toilet of course just before I had to leave. I just came from the doc telling me that I might have diabetes and I've already got IBS and all it's worries. I'm freaked out and I don't even want this job anymore because I fear how I'll deal with everything whilst working but I need the money to support my IBS as we can't eat many things and things I'm supposed to eat. I just don't have money for. I'm shaking right now even after taking an anxiety pill and I'm trying not to think about it but gosh anxiety and bad thoughts are the worst coupled with IBS. I try not to let myself get anxious but then I get anxious about thinking about being anxious. Does anyone have these symptoms? Please help. I just want to be able to live my life without the crippling fear everytime I have a flare-up.

Edited by Ash95

• 2 weeks later...
Jeffrey Roberts

Hello,

I have often said that IBS brings on the anxiety and not the other way around.

Look, we have to try and live our life as best we can. Interviews are no fun and getting a new diagnosis of something like diabetes is certainly very alarming.

I think you would benefit from looking into cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) or hypnotherapy. These have been studied and they do help some people. I would also consider speaking with a dietitian. They can make sure you have a proper diet that agrees with your body.