Bloating = Hard to get deep breath

J Friend

I was just diagnosed with IBS-D and my main symptom aside from diarrhea, is bloating in my upper abdomen, which intern makes it extremely hard and deep breath sometimes puts me into a panic attack. If I do very minimal walking it triggers it  and can't get a breath.. any thoughts?

Also I am on my 2nd round of Xifaxin which is helping with some of the symptoms to help be become daily functional. I was taking Hycosiane every 3 hours before the Xifaxin. I am taking the Hycosiane as needed during the Xifaxin. I still can't exercise or even go on a long walk.

Jeffrey Roberts

Xifaxin is a good choice for your symptoms; however, it is limited because you cannot stay on it indefinitely.

I wonder if you could talk to your doctor about Viberzi for the diarrhea as a long term solution as long as you have a gallbladder.

My main concern is the breathing issue I'm having, it feels like upper abdomen is pushing on my diaphram.  

Jeffrey Roberts

Does this feeling come and go or is it steady? I'm wondering if it is unrelated to your gut issues.

Pretty steady, worsens when walking get bloated. Just took a walk and bloated now. I have had the following.....

EKG, Heart Holter, MRI on heart, CT on pelvis, abdomen and chest, pulmonologist breath testing, colonoscopy and endoscopy, liver / gall bladder ultrasound and numerous blood test. 

These have been done all in past 6 weeks, all has turned out good! 

Jeffrey Roberts

That is really challenging considering the workup that you had. Did a gastroenterologist say that they have seen this kind of constant bloating before? I'm at a loss as IBS tends to come and go and is not steady. If it were GI related, you think that those tests would have indicated something. The only thing that I can think of is gastroparesis or dyspepsia as a cause.

I can't see a GI for a few months, Duke Hospital has a shortage of them. It's something in my stomach or intestinal because the Hycosiane provides temporary relief just doesn't get me to where I need to be. The Xifaxin on the first 2 weeks provided relief as well. Another symptom prior to Xifaxin I would wake up in the middle of the night in a little sweat, kinda like my insides just calmed down. When I'm on Xifaxin I haven't had that issue or the feeling of a slight fever and headache, this all went away. I just started my 2nd does of two weeks of Xifaxin 2 days ago.