Unbearable pain

TheSufferingOnes

I'm a 63 year old man and I've been suffering ibs for over 42 years - I was diagnosed in the early 80s and I've had the colonoscopy etc. My main symptom is pain which can be extremely severe, often on a daily basis. I've always felt the pain mainly around the back- 95% of the time.  I know it's referred from my gut as it's often relieved after I've passed gas or had a bm. It also seems to be the cause of severe facial pain weirdly enough - not as bad as trigeminal neuralgia I'm sure but crippling enough at times. I've often noticed the facial pain coming on after an incomplete bm, so I'm pretty sure it's referred from my gut. Ibs is such a terrible affliction, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Jeffrey Roberts

I completely understand the toll that this illness has on your QOL. It seems we have been dealing with this for about the same number of years.

I am assuming that your pain is related to constipation; however, correct me if I am wrong. Pain is tough to manage separately from constipation.

There are medications which are used for diabetic neuropathy which have been used to manage pain. Namely pregabalin and gabapentin are used; however, they might contribution to constipation.

There are constipation medication which also help to manage pain; however, I am not sure if they are available in the UK.

Hi. I've actually been taking Pregabalin for the past 15 years and it does help although I can't take it every day as it's quite constipating. Some days I have several BMs while other days I go once while feeling the need to go again.🤢

Linzess is one IBS-C med I've heard of, but it's not available here in the UK.

I find a tens machine to be very helpful in controlling the pain when it becomes very severe.

Jeffrey Roberts

Linzess is one of the drugs of choice. It is marketed as constella in the EU. Amitiza was withdrawn from the UK market in 2018.

Prucalopride is available in the UK. It is marketed as motegrity in the US for chronic idiopathic constipation. Its formulation might be helpful for both pain and constipation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2024 at 12:28 PM, TheSufferingOnes said:

I'm a 63 year old man and I've been suffering ibs for over 42 years - I was diagnosed in the early 80s and I've had the colonoscopy etc. My main symptom is pain which can be extremely severe, often on a daily basis. I've always felt the pain mainly around the back- 95% of the time.  I know it's referred from my gut as it's often relieved after I've passed gas or had a bm. It also seems to be the cause of severe facial pain weirdly enough - not as bad as trigeminal neuralgia I'm sure but crippling enough at times. I've often noticed the facial pain coming on after an incomplete bm, so I'm pretty sure it's referred from my gut. Ibs is such a terrible affliction, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

One thing I find helps with the pain is a magic bag heated in the micro.

Alot of my pain was severe gas, the heat helped immensely.  I find that Metamucil is helpful as well. 1Tblsp twice daily. I also take fiber 3 with pre and probiotics and digestive enzymes.  Something else my Physician recommended was peppermint oil.

16 hours ago, TheSufferingOnes said:

Thanks, I'll try this.🙂

Fiber4 sorry. Not Fiber 3

One I get has pre and probiotics