IBS C flare, nothing working

MicheleZM

I started having a flare last month with constipation and it's been downhill from there.

I am exhausted.

I take align per my doc, Pepcid and Miralax normally.  I have added Mylanta.

Also, some prunes, which work, but make things too soft....It does provide a bit of relief from gas and bloat and pain.

I also have terrible pressure against my tailbone before I need to go to the bathroom and pain all the way down the canal to poop.

the doc prescribed Hyoscamine (Levsin) but I have a tough time taking it.  It puts me to sleep and not in a good way.  

It's been years since I have had any symptoms and I am not sure why.  I take Miralax and prunes to help the constipation, but the nausea and bloat is tough.

thank you. 

Jeffrey Roberts

Hello,

That is a long time to have consistent symptoms. I suppose you want to confirm that it is IBS as symptoms tend to wax and wane rather than be steady.

Several things that you are taking might actually be contributing to your constipation. Namely, pepcid and mylanta can cause constipation and for sure hyoscyamine, as it slows down your gut. Miralax definitely helps relieve constipation, but not the pain.

Have you ever tried any medications specifically approved by the FDA for IBS-C? Of course before treating the current long cycle, it would be best to know that nothing else is causing this.

These four are available for IBS-C:

• linzess
  • ibsrela
  • trulance
  • amitiza

This one for chronic constipation:

• motegrity

• 2 weeks later...

Do you take a fiber supplement such as Metamucil? Sorry you are dealing with this. Know that you are not alone.

I've read that prunes are a high FODMAP food so I wonder if that might be contributing to the bloating.  

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry you're dealing with such a tough IBS-C flare-up. It sounds like you've been trying a lot to manage it, including medications and prunes, but are still struggling with discomfort and side effects. For some post BM relief from the discomfort, I've found a gentle foam cleaner called Flushubbles that is soothing to sensitive areas, making it a bit easier to manage other pains/discomforts. Might be worth a try. Definitely consider discussing the ongoing nausea and bloating with your doctor again. Hang in there and take care.

Hello

I’m new to this group.  I’ve had stomach issues sine I was a teenager and diagnosed with Colitis.  I’m 72 yrs old now and it’s now called IBS.  I’m having a flare up x 2 wks.  I routinely take Omeprozole 40mg daily and Dicyclomine 20mg 2xs daily. My go to med when I have a flare up is Milk of Mag that helps with the constipation but I’m still having bloating and pain.  I was taking Imipramine 50mg 2d but stopped 2months ago because of the price but requested a refill today.  I have a drs appt tomorrow. Any suggestions on meds that would help the flare up?

Jeffrey Roberts

Hi PaulaO and welcome,

I wrote earlier that these medications are available now for IBS with constipation. Dicyclomine can help with the pain; however, it can also contribute to constipation.

On 3/21/2024 at 10:36 PM, Jeffrey Roberts said:

These four are available for IBS-C:

• linzess
  • ibsrela
  • trulance
  • amitiza

This one for chronic constipation:

• motegrity