IBS and mental health??

kda5675

I have struggled with ibs for years. Now as I get older I am finding that my fear of having an accident in public keeps me from doing any social activities. This consumes my thought process daily and I stay close to home at all times. I never go out to eat anymore and any time I am invited to do something the first thought is ....what if I get that rush of urge to have bowel movement.  How can I avoid this anxiety??? 

Jeffrey Roberts

I am so sorry that your quality of life is suffering. Having accidents is not pleasant at any age. We all worry about that.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy with a GI Psychologist or using the Digital app called Mahana IBS or Hypnotherapy app called Regulora could probably give you some confidence that you could manage situations better.

There are also several medications available that might also give you confidence by taking them before heading out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2024 at 9:23 PM, kda5675 said:

I have struggled with ibs for years. Now as I get older I am finding that my fear of having an accident in public keeps me from doing any social activities. This consumes my thought process daily and I stay close to home at all times. I never go out to eat anymore and any time I am invited to do something the first thought is ....what if I get that rush of urge to have bowel movement.  How can I avoid this anxiety??? 

I feel your pain. I had issues when I was younger and had very few bouts with this. Now at the age of 60 I am burdened severely. I sleep with a pad on my bed and spend endless hours on the toilet. Several nights on toilet the night.  I've dropped from 179 down to 154 Ib.

Im finding the low fodmap is starting to help. Highly suggest it. See attached.  Would love some of your pointers if you have any.

Screenshot_20240404_085648_Adobe Acrobat.jpg