Horrible symptoms

becca

This may be a bit graphic but we all know! 

I was told I had IBS when I was a child. Since then I've gone through years and years of these symptoms and they are just getting worse. 

I cant seem to find my trigger point either. I ate the same as I did yesterday and drank the exact same up to this point in time. 

I had no issues yesterday but today..  

I had to run to the toilet twice as an emergency as I don't have much of a warning and it's just diarrhoea. The second I went to the toilet and it was water. It was so Runny and (This has happened a few times) I end up in pain, I go white, very light headed, hot and feel as though I'm about to faint. I had to take all my clothes off and lay on the floor of the work bathroom for awhile until it calmed down. 

Is this normal for IBS or some5hing else? I've had tests for Crohns and coeliac but both came back negative. Both though are in the family! 

I'm at a loss

Jeffrey Roberts

Dear Becca,

I'm so sorry that you have to endure this kind of discomfort. Can you feel symptoms like this? Yes, some people do. It could be amplified by a vagal nerve response as a result of stress, pain and fear. It's not like you have any control over it. It just happens.

Given that you have a history of Crohn's and celiac disease in your family, I would certainly see your doctor again and look a little deeper. Your symptoms could be IBS, but could also be IBD or celiac related. Could you please describe how they tested for Crohn's and celiac? I might be able to give you some advice.

I truly am sorry that you feel like this. It is horrible that you have to deal with this.

• Like 1

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply! 

They did some Bloods, the first lot came a little bit raised for Crohns so they did another test were it came back as normal but low in Iron. 

Gave my Iron tablets which I've now finished and that was it! 

I do suffer from anxiety which is being dealt with and planning a wedding but I'm very relaxed about it all. 

This happened today at lunch time. I had eaten and drank the EXACT same as yesterday (I track my food and drink) and I had no reactions at all yesterday. 

I think I'm going to have to go back to the Dr and keep on at them! 

Jeffrey Roberts

Sometimes it is not necessarily what you ate, but the act of eating in itself. Eating causes everything to move in our guts - which is perfectly normal. It just happens to be amplified in people with IBS (and Crohn's).

I actually have IBS and Crohn's. My Crohn's is in my colon which makes it super confusing whether it is IBS or Crohn's that I am dealing with.

Blood work alone can't rule out Crohn's. The blood work can look for CRP levels which might be elevated with Crohn's. Otherwise, there is a stool test called a Fecal Calprotectin Stool Test which is also elevated for IBD, but not for IBS. There is a blood test for Celiac disease.

There is also a special MRI or CT scan that can look for Crohn's. It is called MR Enterography or CT Enterography. Some hospitals are also now using Intestinal Ultrasound to look for IBD.

I do think you should speak to your doctor. While wedding planning is stressful, it doesn't cause IBS or IBD.

I hope this is helpful info. More importantly *CONGRATS* on your engagement and wedding.

Sorry to hear this Becca. Do you have a go to medicine that works when you get these flare ups? For me its Immodium. It constipates me for a day or two but things feel normal.

And you're not alone regarding getting light headed.  Happens to me too after water comes out of me multiple times.  You're most likely just super dehydrated all at once and your body is in shock. I found drinking a ton of water/Gatorade when my gut starts throwing signals helps. 

I cant find my trigger either. Horrible feeling. I hope you feel better. Please keep us posted.

On 3/26/2024 at 11:17 AM, becca said:

This may be a bit graphic but we all know! 

I was told I had IBS when I was a child. Since then I've gone through years and years of these symptoms and they are just getting worse. 

I cant seem to find my trigger point either. I ate the same as I did yesterday and drank the exact same up to this point in time. 

I had no issues yesterday but today..  

I had to run to the toilet twice as an emergency as I don't have much of a warning and it's just diarrhoea. The second I went to the toilet and it was water. It was so Runny and (This has happened a few times) I end up in pain, I go white, very light headed, hot and feel as though I'm about to faint. I had to take all my clothes off and lay on the floor of the work bathroom for awhile until it calmed down. 

Is this normal for IBS or some5hing else? I've had tests for Crohns and coeliac but both came back negative. Both though are in the family! 

I'm at a loss

I have had these symptoms full blown since Dec. Like turning on the tap. Some days 8 to 10 times daily.

Admitted to hospital, colonoscopy pristine. Started on low fodmap, Fuber4, digestive enzymes and Metamucil. Within about 4 weeks starting to feel better. I drink plenty of water, get plenty of rest and get plenty of exercise.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really sorry to hear about the challenges you're facing with IBS. It sounds incredibly difficult, especially when the triggers aren't clear and you're trying to manage at work. IBS truly varies from person to person, which adds to the complexity of handling it effectively.

You've been thorough in checking for conditions like Crohn's and celiac, which is great even though the tests came back negative. It could still be useful to chat with your doctor again, just to cover all bases and explore any other possibilities for managing your symptoms more effectively.

In terms of daily comfort, I've found something that helps me during unexpected flare-ups. There's this gentle, easy-to-use foam that doesn't irritate sensitive areas, designed specifically for situations where traditional methods might be too harsh. It requires no rinsing, which is super convenient, and it's made with soothing ingredients that won't disrupt your skin's natural balance. This product, Flushubbles, has been a small comfort but makes a noticeable difference in managing my symptoms.

You're definitely not alone in this, and reaching out as you have is a brave step toward finding what works for you. Keep sharing and seeking support; it's key to navigating these challenges. I hope this brings some level of ease as you continue to work with your healthcare team.