Jump to content

New Diagnosis/ requiring Low FODMAP Diet


savymom25

Recommended Posts

Sick since December.

Difficult to work

Nausea, bloating, gas++++, severe diarrhea.

Hospitalized x2.

Been on low fodmap diet since end of February. Taking pre and probiotics, metamucil, and digestive enzymes. I usually have two good days then bad days. I drink lots if water.

 

Frustrated

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jeffrey Roberts

Hi Savymom25 and welcome to our community,

I'm sorry to read that you have had such a difficult time for months.

Were you hospitalized for these symptoms? Did they feel that it was IBS? I see in another posting that you lost much weight. This is not really a feature of IBS.

Did they offer any treatment option besides trying a low FODMAP diet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was hospitalized with these symptoms and yes felt IBS. Started me on low fodmap diet, did celiac testing; negative.

MD said I lost weight because I couldn't keep anything in. I had diarrhea so bad it was like a running tap.  Anything I ate came out. Even soup broth came out smelling like soup broth. Not absorbed.

Feel my condition stems back to hiatal hernia operation and Nissen Fundoplication end of October last year. Symptoms started Dec 22nd. MD felt related to this. Micribioms messed up with surgery.

Diagnosed IBS by MD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jeffrey Roberts

That's very interesting. I've never known that that particular surgical procedure could lead to symptoms like this. I wonder if this is all bile acid related, which some people who had their gallbladder removed encounter.

The misnomer about the low FODMAP diet is that it isn't meant to be a lifelong diet. It is meant to be administered by a Dietitian with 3 phases. The final phase eases you back into fodmap foods once you have determined the quantity of them you can tolerate. I was worried that you lost weight because you were eliminating too many foods.

I do wonder if cholestyramine might be a better alternative for you than imodium, if that is what you are still using. Cholestyramine will bind everything together and reduce loose stools with few side effects.

Nonetheless, it does sound like you are doing better.

Thank you for sharing your story and helping others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jeffrey Roberts said:

That's very interesting. I've never known that that particular surgical procedure could lead to symptoms like this. I wonder if this is all bile acid related, which some people who had their gallbladder removed encounter.

The misnomer about the low FODMAP diet is that it isn't meant to be a lifelong diet. It is meant to be administered by a Dietitian with 3 phases. The final phase eases you back into fodmap foods once you have determined the quantity of them you can tolerate. I was worried that you lost weight because you were eliminating too many foods.

I do wonder if cholestyramine might be a better alternative for you than imodium, if that is what you are still using. Cholestyramine will bind everything together and reduce loose stools with few side effects.

Nonetheless, it does sound like you are doing better.

Thank you for sharing your story and helping others.

Are you a Dr. You seem quite knowledgeable 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jeffrey Roberts
3 minutes ago, savymom25 said:

Are you a Dr. You seem quite knowledgeable 

Not a doctor. I have been supporting patients with GI related illnesses for 25 years and attend several medical conferences annually. I also host monthly webinars with clinicians.

I only know what I know. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Jeffrey Roberts said:

Not a doctor. I have been supporting patients with GI related illnesses for 25 years and attend several medical conferences annually. I also host monthly webinars with clinicians.

I only know what I know. 🙂

Amazing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/4/2024 at 8:50 AM, savymom25 said:

Sick since December.

Difficult to work

Nausea, bloating, gas++++, severe diarrhea.

Hospitalized x2.

Been on low fodmap diet since end of February. Taking pre and probiotics, metamucil, and digestive enzymes. I usually have two good days then bad days. I drink lots if water.

 

Frustrated

Sorry you're going through this. Interesting about the broth and the "running tap". I thought I was the only one when it was happening to me. Made no sense to have the running tap since I hadnt eaten anything bad and I wasnt sick.

Hopefully you have more up days than down. I feel your anxiety and pain.

Metamucil seems to be helping though not get those liquid moments. 2 tablets a day now increased to 3. Has to have the husk in it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, savymom25 said:

Amazing. Thankyou.  I just need my life back.  Been a long struggle. Surgery Oct. Pushed up. After date set, interview for new job. Was to start job next day homecare nursing. Transparent with boss, honest. Held start date til Jan. Then git sick. To ER antibiotics, sent home. Then sick again. Struggling at home. Lost about 8 Ib. In short span of time. Not keeping anything in. Going like a running tap. Back to ER, admitted, colonoscopy. Diagnosed with IBS. Started on Lowfodmap. In background, mom had fall under care of caregiver. Huge blood filled wound on shin. In hospital at same time as me. Dc Feb 22. Both mom and I dc on same day from hospital. Mom dc in bad shape. Died a week later. Just found out brother had prostate CA, sister In Law has colon CA.  

While some of this could be stress, it's impacting my life, my health and my job

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...