Dizziness with IBS-C

For the last 9 years I have struggle with chronic constipation. I have taken many different meds but all seem to stop working and I have to switch it up. However, this has been over shadowed by frequent dizzy spells I get. My vision basically goes black and i get this vibration feeling all over my body. I just stop moving more a few seconds and close my eyes and it passes. I don’t actually fall to the ground and black out but it is enough that it stops me in my tracks. The doctors kept thinking it was heart related and I have done every test imaginable and all came back fine. After talking to a new doctor and telling him about the constipation, gas, bloating and dizziness he told me IBS could very likely be causing this. Have any of you had similar issues? The amount of time and money I have spent trying to figure these things out is astronomical. Would be so reassuring if anyone else has experience something similar! 

Jeffrey Roberts

Hi LaineC,

I can't say I have heard of this directly related to IBS but, if your IBS-C pain and distress causes a vagal nerve response, then yes, I think this is possible. I would caution that by saying many medications also cause dizziness or postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) when you stand up or move from a lying down to sitting position.

Dizziness is so hard to measure and find a cause. I completely understand why this has taken so long to unravel.

I wish I can say definitely dizziness is a symptom of IBS. It's not a symptom, but it is possible.

Thank you for your response! Im currently having a bad IBS flare up and the dizziness is back, so maybe it is possible they are related 🤷🏼‍♀️? It is not everyday that I have these issues so I will now be keeping track to see if the two always happen at the same. I just started a new medication call Trulance so I’m praying this helps with both.  

Jeffrey Roberts

You are very welcome. I was thinking about something else that could cause dizziness and that is dehydration. I'm not sure if that is a concern for you, but that can also cause dizziness.

Dizziness is certainly a difficult symptom to figure out.

I hope the Trulance provides you some relief. Ibsrela is another one you can try if you don't have any luck.  Ibsrela is new.

• 2 months later...
On 4/12/2024 at 1:33 AM, LaineC said:

For the last 9 years I have struggle with chronic constipation. I have taken many different meds but all seem to stop working and I have to switch it up. However, this has been over shadowed by frequent dizzy spells I get. My vision basically goes black and i get this vibration feeling all over my body. I just stop moving more a few seconds and close my eyes and it passes. I don’t actually fall to the ground and black out but it is enough that it stops me in my tracks. The doctors kept thinking it was heart related and I have done every test imaginable and all came back fine. After talking to a new doctor and telling him about the constipation, gas, bloating and dizziness he told me IBS could very likely be causing this. Have any of you had similar issues? The amount of time and money I have spent trying to figure these things out is astronomical. Would be so reassuring if anyone else has experience something similar! 

My daughter who is only 14 has severe IBS symptoms, for many years, of which dizziness can be one of her worst, some days. She is not currently on medications as I'm helping to stabilise her symptoms through Gut-Directed Hypnotherapy, so we've eliminated meds as a possible cause for her. Some days she cant sit/stand up for very long for fear of fainting/being over-whelmed by dizziness. From my own research, as Jeffrey also suggested, I personally think the dizziness is related to the vagus nerve. I'm certainly targetting this nerve in my hypno sessions with my daughter, which seems to be helping immensely. Good luck with finding a resolution. 

So sorry that your daughter is struggling like me, but happy to know I’m not the only one. What exactly do you do for gut directed hypnotherapy? Since being on Amitiza my dizziness has decreased tremendously. I hate that I have to take a medication everyday but at this point it is definitely worth it. I still have some GI pain, especially in my upper left abdomen, but I assume having a bowel movement frequently now helps the vagus nerve dizziness issue. Praying for full healing for your daughter 🙏🏻

Thank you. It’s tough for a 14 year old. I’ve had low grade IBS symptoms also, since 14 but nothing like hers. I use a FODMAP diet, massage and  EFT and self hypnosis to manage my symptoms and I’m teaching her to do the same. 

Gut Directed Hypnotherapy has been shown to alleviate symptoms significantly in many people, with over 40 years of clinical studies available online now. Because of the gut-brain connection I work to alleviate stress and increase relaxation in both the  digestive system and in the brain. One affects the other. For some people (like myself) symptoms start after some sort of trauma (doesn’t have to be major) and when this is dealt with symptoms can improve dramatically. I’ve actually worked with people who didn’t even mention their IBS, as they came for something else and then tell me their IBS symptoms are much better! 

For others, having IBS causes all sorts of psychological issues, anxiety, depression, fear, worry etc. Every client is different, but I always work to calm both the digestive system and the brain, and restore proper communication between the two. I think there’s a list of therapies and therapists on this site who provide this service, in the US and it’s well worth researching further.