Walking For IBS-C Relief?

Ian Haines

Hi...

I have a question which I thought you folks might be able to answer.

When an IBS-C patient, what type of therapeutic value has been discovered when the patient begins to go for long, leisurely walks?  I've heard so many people (via Google and YouTube) posting about their excitement at such amazing changes to their IBS-C symptoms, when all they've done is go for lengthy, peaceful walks. I had no idea that such a simple exercise had such a significant benefit for those with IBS-C.

What experiences have you folks had if you've decided to start going on these walks?  (I've been a chair-hog since just after the start of Covid, so I'd like to know what others have found happened when the walking days come on back into their lives!) 😀 😀 😀

I used to be a fanatical walker - and, I think I'm cheating myself by not returning to them.

Thank you, for any help you feel able to be to me.

Ian.

--------------------------------------------

Edited by Ian Haines
I'm never happy with anything I write.

I have had a stroke, so I can take only SHORT leisurely walks.  Walks directly relate to my ability to have a bowel movement.  

• Upvote 1

Jeffrey Roberts

Hi Ian,

Doctors often tell patients with constipation that they need to do more exercise and drink a lot of water to relieve constipation. Research does support this; however, to a limit. Too much exercise actually gives you "runners" diarrhea.

Anecdotally, I can tell you when I am constipated I do walk more and drink more fluids and it does help.

• Upvote 1

I am a very active person- personal trainer, do triathlons and races, drink tons of water and I still suffer from IBS-C. So unfortunately it’s not the cure all but so important for overall health. So even if it does not fix your IBS symptoms I still highly recommend it for physical and mental health.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

One of the benefits of which I've learned, purely from experiences (and, in previous decades) is that...walking drives gases through the intestinal tract and that the gas collects behind a stubborn stool and operates on it like the gas beneath the cork of a bottle of "bubbly"...it pushes outwards on the obstruction, which is almost as helpful for stool passing as having another stool up behind it, doing the pushing! 

I'm still interested in hearing members' opinions/experiences, regarding walking and how it has maybe helped them, with their "-C".

Ian.

• Like 1