How to work with IBS-D

SheenTheGreen

Hello all,

This is my first post in this forum.  I am in my late 20s, married, and haven't worked in several years.  My husband has expressed that basically I need to get a job or he's gone.  I have been job hunting like crazy on Indeed, and I have several interviews scheduled. However, I use the restroom sometimes 8-10 times a day during a flare.  Due to this recent stress, I of course have been really struggling and using the bathroom a lot.  I don't have a college degree and so finding a remote job is rather difficult.  Does anyone have any ideas of how I can work and not call out sick all the time? This is the reason I haven't worked in years. I struggle to leave the house as it is most days, and now I'm not sure what to do.  Sorry for ranting. I am just really at a loss of what to do.  I wish I could magically feel 100% better.  

Jeffrey Roberts

Welcome SheenTheGreen.

I am sorry that you find yourself in this position. I think that your personal life might be contributing to your symptoms. I appreciate that it is hard to work under these conditions. Post-Covid there are a lot more remote jobs than before. Have you considered acting as a moderator for an online community? You could do that from home and look after multiple communities at once. Just a thought.

Unfortunately, you can't make IBS diarrhea magically disappear. Having support and understand is a great help. You might find helping others online might give you that support to make you cope better. It also helps if it pays something.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear that. I've struggled with IBS-d since I was a teen. I'm in my early thirties now.

Dealing with it at work is tough. I've got a remote job now but I worked for nearly a decade in the office everyday. I found it hard at first but it gets easier. Once you get to know your colleagues, the office and your job you'll feel more comfortable. No one is going to be watching the number of toilet breaks you have. I do understand your fear though, I would always get into that nervous cycle, triggering your IBS which triggers your nerves and then makes you immediately need a poo and it feels all consuming. I eventually learned to just accept it's part of me, I can't change it and people will have to accept me for my numerous toilet breaks at the most inconvenient of times. Try and think of all the times you've forced yourself to do something despite your IBS. That shows bravery. You've probably done things that people would be scared to do even without the added fear of pooing themselves. It's hard to push through those fears but my god you feel so proud of yourself when you do. You've got this 💪

• 4 weeks later...

I'm 59 and have had IBS D since I was a child. Back then no one understood it. I grew up embarrassed and had no idea how to control my bathroom urges. Eventually,  I realized what I had was not going to hold me back. I left a job i had for 30 years, and moved to Europe to become a teacher. I learned how to eat properly and control it for the most part. I traveled for over 3 years before coming back to Canada. If I can do it, I know you can too!

• Like 1