Retaining Stool need advice

Jeannie1948

I have been using a surgical lube to help the last bit of stool out for about two years. After my last colonoscopy which was normal my IBS-C was worse. My family doctor told me I don’t need to be concerned, yet incomplete emptying is uncomfortable. Im drinking over 64 oz of water every day. I’m now journaling my foods every day to see that I include fruits and vegetables.
Is it safe to take a stool softener often? What fruits and vegetables are best for IBS-C? What exercises are good ones for a disabled person. I’m 76 and spend a lot of time sitting so I’ve begun isometrics and using floor type bicycle.

JS

Jeffrey Roberts

Hi Jeannie1948,

Some people use mechanical manipulation to help with their stool. It is not idea as I suppose you could be adding bacteria to your bowel, which would not be very good.

There is no diet per se for someone with IBS-C. The low FODMAP diet doesn't seem to work as well for people with constipation. Increasing fiber and moving your body seems to be the most helpful if you don't use medications to help. There are several IBS-C medications that are available.

Many doctors are telling their patients to use miraLAX daily versus a stool softener. It brings water into your bowel which naturally softens your stool.

I'm sorry I don't have any other answers for you.

I appreciate your advice. I bought Colace stool softener and the directions suggest that it can be taken more than once a day. I am adding steamed vegetables too. I’m beginning to think I’m focusing on complete emptying of my bowel way too much. Things will all work their way out eventually. Thanks 

Jeffrey Roberts

I hope things work out. Colace isn't really much help for many people. miraLAX is the best.