IBS and Mucos Leakage?

Teamroper

I’m a 53 year old male that is active and working out daily. Have had internal hemorrhoids and none currently but in the last month have had some clear mucous discharge after bowel movements. Gastro dr has me using hydrocortisone suppositories daily and said for 2 weeks and this could help with the leakage? How’s that? I’ve been doing them for a week and not seeing any results. Dr said most likely it’s related to my IBS. I am one that can go normal bowel movements for several days and think everything is good and then my gut wants to empty all in one day it seems. If I could control the bowel habits great….. but this clear mucous leakage is something new and it is more bothering than anything. Any help greatly appreciated!

Jeffrey Roberts

Hello,

You haven't described whether you have constipation or diarrhea, but I am assuming constipation given your description. I have clear mucous discharge after every bowel movement. That isn't necessarily abnormal for someone with IBS. Steroids can be useful if there is inflammation so if the suppositories haven't really worked then I would assume that is not the problem. IBS-C sufferers often have constipation for a while and then suddenly everything empties out. This is just the way it is.

It sounds like the leakage outside of a bowel movement is what is causing you the most distress. If it is not inflammation related, there isn't much you can do. For people with diarrhea associated with this, there are meds that can help slow down the gut. I'm not clear that is your problem.