Magnesium citrate for constipation

Jeannie1948

My nurse recommended magnesium citrate for my IBS-C. I ordered the capsules 100 mg each. She’s out of town now so I’m asking my fellow members. My question now is how much should I take? They are capsules so just swallow them whole? With or without food? 
I figured some of you might be taking magnesium and could give some insight on how to use them. 

Jeffrey Roberts

I find mag-citrate a thing the devil created. I do not like it. It's will cause a BM, but it might be painful and force you to be in the bathroom for a long time. mag-citrate is basically a bowel cleaner used as a prep before scoping.

• 2 weeks later...

So I don’t have too much of a problem using it but it’s different for every person. I started out with 200 and work from there. That might be enough for you. Or you may need more depending on how much back up you have. In take it at night because it takes a while for it to work for me , but for others it can take as little as 30 minutes. So if you are that kind of person, maybe first thing in the morning?

Right now mag cit is my go to because I haven’t been able to see a GI doc. A ER doc recommended it. I do about 200-400md/day. Works best on an empty stomach but I think you can take it during the day. Whatever, drink with plenty of water . It varies per person how quickly it works too. That’s why when you start less is more depending on how quickly it works for you. I hope eventually to get an actual treatment. Was using Miralax but it  started giving me gas and cramps and bloating.

• 5 weeks later...

Been using it for almost 2 years.  Yea it works but it's kinda intense.  My symptoms were so painful and varied that I think I overdid it and weakened my defecation reflex/pelvic floor muscles.  I was going down in magnesium (Dulcolax at one point) but not anymore.  I'm hoping PT can save me.  Just be careful