67 year old with constipation and greasy stools

Claudia V

So I am a 67-year-old woman who struggles with what they think is IBS – C. I have a redundant colonoscopy so I have always had issues with constipation. I tried Linzess and it didn’t do a whole lot and I’m now on ISBrella and it has helped somewhat. However, at least once a week, I will have several bouts of very loose greasy fatty stool that are only normal in color. I don’t know if anyone else has had that affect from the ISBrella . I still have my gallbladder so it’s not like what you all are dealing with. I am assuming when a side effect of a medicine says diarrhea, it just means loose, watery stools not fatty greasy stools.  Any insights from anyone appreciated. 

Jeffrey Roberts

Hi Claudia,

I moved this from the bile acid diarrhea posting. What you are describing is not that. It sounds like you are having overflow diarrhea, which means you are very constipated and stool is going around the constipation. Still, fatty and greasy is not a typical description. It could be malabsorption of something you are eating.

Have you spoken to your doctor about this?

• Jeffrey Roberts changed the title to 67 year old with constipation and greasy stools

Thanks for your response, Jeffrey. I didn’t really think of it as anything other than the side effect diarrhea until I read about it here yesterday. So other than telling her I have it on occasion, I have not described it to my Dr.   I will today now. 

• Like 1