Gut pain with no let up

Jack R. Bosch

Have had IBS for roughly 3 months.  Trying to stay on low food map diet.  Pain, especially in the morning hours is relentless.  Getting in contact with mental therapist in taking the view that stress is a factor. But I do meditation, mindfulness and exercise. It is very difficult to alter your mental state when your gut is hurting at a steady pace. Then,  because of type C,  I take Mirolax to poop and that day is lost and continues  feeling whacked out and staying near the toilet.  Tried Bentyl for the pain and it kicked me in the butt.  Dizzy, tired and fog brain. There seems to be so many pain meds on the market ; but when I read about them and what others who take them report about their effectiveness, it is discouraging. i.e. doesn't work,  puts me in orbit.  I sometimes get the feeling because our disease isn't curable and really not that prevalent, that the research is lacking. The first case of IBS, I understand, was reported in 1820. Over two centuries and little if any real progress. Just the same old baloney. Try this. Try that. We are all different.  Ya,  just bitching.

Jeffrey Roberts

Hi Jack,

Pain that is relentless sounds challenging. Does a bowel movement not relieve that pain?

Where the low FODMAP diet might be helpful, the best results are for those who actually have diarrhea as their main symptom. Similarly, bentyl can help with abdominal pain, but it also contribute to constipating.

Why have you not been given some of the medications that are specially for IBS-C that may help with your stool and pain?

Jeffrey: It seems since I complained that the side effects of bentyl where not to my liking, My KP doc kind of backed off any other pain meds.   I have spent hours looking at alternative pain meds and they all seem to have similar side effects:  tiredness, dizzyness, fog brain. Can you suggest any that I can bring up that are somewhat less obtrusive as to not cluttering up the mental effects. in my case, I have to induce bowel movements with MiroLax and sometimes senna. Than it is a day near the toilet.  Thank you for responding.  Jack

Thanks so much for the information and your concern. Doctor prescribed duloxetine which is has potential of working on stress and pain. Hoping. Jack

The doctor indicated it could help with anxiety/stress. Perhaps this is a because of the effectiveness of helping pain rather than being a primary antidepressant.  Once again, thank you for the time you spend keeping this site going; and especially for keeping so well informed on all facets of this disease. 

Jeffrey Roberts

Yes, Cymbalta is good for anxiety and depression. It's a unique compound.

You are very welcome. Happy to be here.