IBS life sentence

capi

I have been diagnosed with IBS and Diverticulitas. I am in so much pain for the last 4  years and all these doctors can do is have me take linzess which keeps me on the toilet daily for 4 hrs on and off. I can barely  eat any food and I am afraid to eat because I get so backed up. I think there is something else wrong but they have run so many tests on me ct scans with contrast, x-rays, blood tests , poop test, colonoscopy and they have went down my throat. They also say I have mild hiahatial hernia. I have so many problems I don't even feel like myself anymore. My anxiety of my health is getting the best of me. My life is not normal anymore and I feel like I am just existing. I just want my life back. 

Jeffrey Roberts

Oh Capi, I am so sorry that you are struggling. Your subject line kind of captures it. IBS is a life sentence even though there are various treatments which often can ease symptoms, but not make them go away completely.

Can you tell us a little more about your IBS. Do you have constipation with IBS and your doctors feel this is aggravating diverticulitis?

It's kind of good they haven't found anything other than the diagnosis of IBS. I know that isn't fun to hear. In the long run, it's a good thing.

Some people titrate their dosage of Linzess. They are skipping a day or two if they have loose stools from it. They are cutting it in half and making sure to take it with a meal.

There are other IBS-C medications that can also be tried if you think Linzess is making your life worse. There is Ibsrela, Trulance and Amitiza. There is motegrity which is approved for constipation. Some people are using it for IBS-C.

You can take anti-anxiety in conjunction with your IBS meds which also might help.

We're hear to listen and let you know you aren't alone. IBS can be a life sentence that can still give you a better quality of life.