Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Wolfgrl

My Story

Wolfgrl

I was diagnosed with IBS-D about 8 years ago.  For about 5 of those years, I was able to manage the symptoms well while working in a stressful job (Director of Engineering) just by taking generic Librax 4 times per day.  After that time, I retired at the age of 65 and the symptoms became much worse.  It seemed at the time and still seems to be true today that the more occupied my mind is with other activities, the better the symptoms are.  Shortly after retirement, my symptoms became so much worse that I could not seem to find any solution to help the problem.  I panicked to the point where I could just not see any way out of this nor could I live with this any longer.  I just wanted to die.  I was sent to a psychiatrist who put me on an antidepressant.  For the past three years I have tried numerous things in an effort to bring the disease under control so that I can feel like leaving the house without having a panic attack.  I have tried only dicyclomine and Librax for anti-spasmodics.  The dicyclomine did not work at all,  but the Librax works slightly better.  I find that no anti-spasmodic alone will solve your problem.  I have tried to alter my diet in many ways.  I no longer am able to eat eggs, red meat, pork, or dairy.   If I follow the diet plan, I can manage the disorder fairly well, but if I deviate from the diet, I will definitely return to the bathroom within a couple of hours of eating the wrong things.  I also have found that the low FODMAP diet did not work for me.  The FODMAP diet says you can eat red meat and lactose free milk.  I can eat neither of these items.  I found that following Heather Van Vorous diet guidelines are much better for most IBS-D patients than the low FODMAP diet.  I also take Heather's tummy fiber three times per day to increase the bulk in my intestines.  I have used the peppermint capsules that she also recommends, but if you have GERD, it will definitely mess with the GERD.  Overall, you have to decide which diet, medications, and OTC supplements you can take to control your illness.  PS:  I also tried to take calcium supplements (Caltrate 600) with disastrous results.  Had to stop this within 3 weeks after starting it.  Hope this helps someone.

• Upvote 1

Advertisement
Jeffrey Roberts

I can completely relate to your story. I wondered if you had interviewed me for it :) though I was diagnosed over 25 years ago.

I have never tried Heather's diet guidelines or products. I'm glad you found some help from them.

Have you considered introducing some probiotics like Align or Visbiome?

AlisonfromSickofIBS

Just an idea for you. You say the symptoms are better when you have your mind on other things. If stress is a trigger for this, it could be worth trying some stress relief techniques. Here are some that I use on a regular basis: https://sickofibs.com/ibs-triggers/stress-and-ibs/

Another thing to check out is your liver. Here's why: https://sickofibs.com/ibs-symptoms/your-liver/ 

In some people estrogen dominance can give rise to diarrhea and reflux. You could try a liver detox (made up for you by your pharmacist if possible, so there are no additives) and see whether you see any improvement.

Hope this helps, 

Alison

Wolfgrl

In answer to Jeffrey, I am currently taking digestive advantage for IBS probiotics.  I have been taking them for about 2 months.  I really cannot say whether they are helping or not.  I recently returned from a trip to Disney World, where the temp was in the 90s.  This seemed to make things much worse along with the extreme fatigue caused by walking miles each day.  I also had less control over my diet (took my lunch to the park every day, which helped), but eating out every evening was difficult since most chicken and fish dishes are deep fat fried.  This tastes great, but certainly does not help the IBS.  I was so sick one day that I had to stay home and take 4 lamotil tablets to control the D.

Jeffrey Roberts

You might notice a more pronounced difference if you tried Align vs. DA-IBS. I know I did.

Deep fried is a definite no-no for me. I can't go near it.