Colostomy bag to be free of my IBS-C?

I have had IBS-C for four years.  It has ruined my life.  I don't know if my condition is just naturally worse than others, or if I made it worse by using so much mag cit, but I've had enough.  I had a cholecystectomy a month ago and it was a success with one exception, the constipation got worse.  The surgeon said my surgery was successful because I have biliary dyskinesia, and that surgery is the preferred one to help with that condition.  So many of my other symptoms (I feel like I had a dozen at that point) left me except that one.  I actually didn't believe that one problem could get worse. 

I spoke to my PA (The gastroenterologist doesn't work with me directly and looked upset with me when the PA requested a visit with her) and she ordered a anorectal manometry (sp?) to determine if my pelvic floor muscles are working.  I'll then do PT for those muscles to see if I can get them to work again.  If it fails, I guess that's when I begin talks with a surgical team to see if they will do a colostomy.  I've done some research on it.  It's extreme, the pain afterwards is supposed to be epic for two weeks, and there is some messy maintenance of the area.  I can live with that.  Anything is better than what I'm dealing with now.  Those that got to my point, where they requested it, say that the positives greatly outweigh the negatives.  The people I watched on YouTube actually look happy.  I've been miserable for the last two years of this nightmare.  But I need my schedule back.  I can barely work now.  Has anyone else considered this?  Am I just being crazy or giving up too soon?  I'd be interested to hear from any and all, but especially from those who may have had it done, or doctors who may be able to advise me on this.  

• 3 weeks later...
Jeffrey Roberts

Thanks for sharing @Billy. Others might appreciate this if they find themselves in a similar position.

2 hours ago, Jeffrey Roberts said:

Thanks for sharing @Billy. Others might appreciate this if they find themselves in a similar position.

Have you ever heard of such a thing for IBS-C?  And to be honest, I don't think I have just IBS-C.  My PA said my symptoms were not typical of IBSC and my PCP, a former clinical researcher, said he could tell my situation was complex.  I'm trying to push them to check my liver and bile ducts but they seem to be dragging their feet.  I can't seem to get anyone to understand how bad this is and it seems like me and a few other IBSC's are worse off than others.  If a colostomy frees me of the mag cit cycle then I'll take the disfigurement.  

Jeffrey Roberts

Yes, I have heard of this before. There are issues associated with a colostomy so you truly have to weigh the options. You might search and read about colostomy and IBD patients.